Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: painting sails (big skull and crossbones )
thunderace

posted on 13/5/12 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
painting sails (big skull and crossbones )

i want to paint a big skull and crossbones on my black sails ,so i will need white paint but cant see any paint that will work on my nylon or dacron sails i dont want it to flake off or look a mess
designer

posted on 13/5/12 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Ask at a chandler's.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
D Beddows

posted on 13/5/12 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Wont that joke get quite 'old' quite quickly?! lol plus isn't it a bit like the yachting equivalent of cheap carbon fibre wrap on the bonnet of your Corsa and a straight though exhaust...... ?
tomgregory2000

posted on 13/5/12 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Don't waste your time talking to a chandlery, speak to a sailmaker, someone like north sails they should be able to help you
plentywahalla

posted on 13/5/12 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Look in a chandlery for 'inflatable boat' paint. I think it is called polyflex or something like that. It is manufactured for painting inflatables which are either nylon or pvc fabric and the paint is flexible to allow for the boat to be inflated and deflated and rolled up.

I've checked on the tin in my workshop. its called 'superflex' made by polymarine ltd.

We have made graphics for sails using a vinyl sign making machine and the same adhesive backed fabric used for sail numbers. that would be the proper way of doing it but it is expensive when the graphic coveras a large area.

[Edited on 13/5/12 by plentywahalla]

Rules are for the guidance of wise men ... and the obedience of fools. (anon)

owelly

posted on 13/5/12 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Mask off the pattern and bleach the colour out. Try it on a test area first though!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.