Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blog Or Website?
Mozzie

posted on 28/9/13 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Blog Or Website?

So I aim to get the car build re-started (been busy with life, but want to get back into the car)

So which is best to chart the history of the car and its progress?

A website or a blog type?

Which do you use for yours?

(oh yeah free would be nice)

Cheers

unijacko67

posted on 28/9/13 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Tumblr blog is free, easy to use and you can upload pictures and video. Have a look at my link below. I think you can click on archive to see a quick index as such. Cheers.

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hicost

posted on 28/9/13 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Build Page

I find Facebook page very useful

http://www.facebook.com/LotusSportster7

quote:
Originally posted by Mozzie
So I aim to get the car build re-started (been busy with life, but want to get back into the car)

So which is best to chart the history of the car and its progress?

A website or a blog type?

Which do you use for yours?

(oh yeah free would be nice)

Cheers

"I cant do that without accidentally grabbing hold of the work of the divine potter"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 28/9/13 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hicost
I find Facebook page very useful

http://www.facebook.com/LotusSportster7

Problem is I get the impression that Facebook and car builders are two circles on a Venn diagram with only a tiny overlap...

I do post some of my stuff on Facebook but seriously dumbed down for friends and family. I went for a Blogger account to get the proper information online.

Sloan85

posted on 28/9/13 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
I used Blogger for mine. It is simple to use but it does make things difficult to find as its all in date order. If I was to do it again I would make a website so I could organise by categories as opposed to just date.

Another thought is that are so many unfinished build diaries out there so choose whatever you think will be simplest to encourage you to keep it updated.

http://mkindygsxr.blogspot.co.uk

Slimy38

posted on 28/9/13 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sloan85
I used Blogger for mine. It is simple to use but it does make things difficult to find as its all in date order. If I was to do it again I would make a website so I could organise by categories as opposed to just date.

Another thought is that are so many unfinished build diaries out there so choose whatever you think will be simplest to encourage you to keep it updated.

I quite like the date order to be honest, apart from anything it shows my downtime and gaps where something has slowed me down.

I agree with the unfinished bit, for example there are loads of build diaries that show how the chassis is welded together but maybe half a dozen that actually report IVA progress. And posts definitely get thinner as time goes on.

HappyFather

posted on 28/9/13 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
I have mine on blogger.

I like the date organization because it shows how many sessions I did in each month.

To separate different types of posts, I use tags (Introduction, Preparation, Building, Driving) and tag each article with one option. Then I added the "Labels" widget on the right side that shows each tag and the number of posts that had it applied. Clicking on the tag, shows just those posts in date order. I'm happy with this.

On Facebook I only put the dumbed down version too, for some friends. To have it there would mean either creating a page (like Hicost did and that I'm glad to follow) or I would have to set all the Build album public, otherwise non-friends would not see it. Things on Facebook are not easy to find with search engines, too.

Have fun!
HappyFather

gremlin1234

posted on 28/9/13 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
its not silly to have both, with limited cross posting too.
let the audience decide which to follow, simple or detailed.

brum_gustavo

posted on 29/9/13 at 02:05 AM Reply With Quote
Wordpress is free, you can create as many pagesas you want, you can embed you tube videos, create picture galleries, it´s pretty easy to set up and customize, and has built-in SEO, and great support. I´ve been using it since 2007 (gustavobrum.wordpress.com, in portuguese) and recommend it. In terms of usability, it´s a blog, but has features of a full website.
Wordpress also offers facebook integration (like and share buttons) as well as other social tools.

Gustavo

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.