Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What do you call these...
garyo

posted on 16/1/14 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
What do you call these...

The glass shelves in my shower are attached to the glass walls using plastic clamps that are then screwed in to holes in the glass.

The plastic fittings have cracked over the years. Initially I replaced the clamp parts with metal pieces (as shown in the first photo) but I'm now finding that the plastic plugs that sit in the opposite side of the glass shower walls are also failing. I've tried to photo one of these - see second photo.

So what do you call these? They're a dome, with an 8mm diameter plug that's been drilled and tapped. This slots in to the 8mm hole in the 5mm thick glass wall, and allows the clamp part to be screwed in.

The shower manufacturer has been no help, and won't sell parts separately - they're all imported etc.

I could try to turn down a stainless nut, then weld a big washer on the back, but it's all a bit naff!

Description
Description

Description
Description

Thanks!

Gary

myke pocock

posted on 16/1/14 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure what they are called but try a shop fittings supplier. They look a little like clips used to hold glass shelves in shop fittings in place to me.

[Edited on 16/1/14 by myke pocock]

r1_pete

posted on 16/1/14 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
Try googling 'glass shelf fittings' or 'invisible glass shelf fittings' loads of results, which should yield something.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dhutch

posted on 17/1/14 at 04:02 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe i'm missing something, but can you not just put a screw from the outsite, through the glass, into the metal fitting?

Daniel

garyo

posted on 17/1/14 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Maybe i'm missing something, but can you not just put a screw from the outsite, through the glass, into the metal fitting?

Interesting idea. The hole in the glass is 8mm, whereas the hole in the 'slit' is only 4mm wide, so I'd been working on the basis that I needed to replicate the existing arrangement, but maybe I could find a massive stainless cap head bolt and then drill/tap the brackets so the bolt goes in from the opposite side to the way it does at the moment.

I could add some kind of bush too, if req'd.

[Edited on 17/1/14 by garyo]

[Edited on 17/1/14 by garyo]

jacko

posted on 17/1/14 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
You don't want a bolt touching the glass use a 4mm bolt and put a piece of clear hard plastic pipe inside the hole in the glass
don't over tighten the bolt and brake the glass

[Edited on 17/1/14 by jacko]
Have a look here forget what i have put above try this link

http://www.psglassfittings.com/glass-shelf-supports/fitting/through-glass-shelf-support

[Edited on 17/1/14 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
austin man

posted on 17/1/14 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
couldnt you use the plastic number plate bolts

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

dhutch

posted on 18/1/14 at 05:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
You don't want a bolt touching the glass use a 4mm bolt and put a piece of clear hard plastic pipe inside the hole in the glass, don't over tighten the bolt and brake the glass.

Yes, and probably a plastic washer under the head too.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.