Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: vegetables on ebay
bob

posted on 17/11/04 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
vegetables on ebay

I thought Branston pickle was pushing it but............

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14050&item=2284709492&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 17/11/04 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
See what you mean

Mac told me about this !

business.telegraph in association with Carbon Trust

Branston lovers fork out £16 for endangered pickle
By Caroline Muspratt (Filed: 03/11/2004)

Sellers are cashing in on a predicted shortage of Branston Pickle as its maker warned of panic buying after a fire at the factory.

Premier Foods said it only had enough stock to cover about two weeks of sales after a fire at its Bury St Edmunds factory last week.

Jars of Branston Pickle were selling for as much as £16 on online auction site Ebay last night.

Premier Foods said the fire had caused "significant damage" to the machinery, boilers and electrical supply, halting production. A spokesman said: "We could possibly see a shortage in the supermarkets."

Premier Foods said part-production of Branston Pickle would resume in three weeks but production would not return to normal levels until December or January. It normally sells 28m jars a year "and Christmas is the busiest time", a spokesman said. Fans of the product are said to include Naomi Campbell and Catherine Zeta Jones.

Sellers were quick to take advantage of the news, advertising "rare" jars of Branston Pickle on Ebay. A 310g jar, costing 64p in supermarkets, was typically being offered from 99p-£1.50 while a 450g jar, usual retail value 90p, was offered for £1.50-£2.00. One seller advertised the product saying: "The factory may have burnt down but you can still get yours on Ebay!" One auction appeared to have reached £16 with five days left to run, though the seller has promised to donate the profits to charity. The seller described the product as "the Rolls-Royce in this highly competitive market".

Other products made at the Bury St Edmunds factory, including Haywards pickles and Loyd Grossman sauces, will be temporarily outsourced to other manufacturers. Branston Pickle production will not be outsourced "because of the way it is made".

The company said: "We may experience significant short-term customer demand which may result in the current stock being sold through much quicker than would be normal."

However, a spokesman for Tesco said yesterday: "We haven't had any problems at all so I can't really say there is a shortage at the moment."

and the best one

Due to mounting debts which as a single parent I run up last Christmas, I have exhausted things to sell on E Bay and I must now regretfully sell my Jar of Branston Pickle - Small chunks. I understand there is a shortage and if this is the case then I must resort to a cheaper brand. I have been saving this jar for Boxing Day to have with the turkey sandwiches. This is a really tasty jar of pickle and quite frankly nothing else will touch it. Due to the burning down of the factory There will be no more pickle for some considerable time. This is a large jar and will be sadly missed. If you bid on my prized jar and win you will not only receive the jar but a photo of me on Christmas Day. If I manage to pay off some debts and have a good Christmas then I will be smiling, if not I will be pretty sad. Take a chance and please, please bid for my jar. Thankyou. Any questions answered!

[Edited on 17-11-04 by mangogrooveworkshop]

Peteff

posted on 18/11/04 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
Genuine Branston

I found half a jar at the back of the fridge if anybody's really desperate.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JoelP

posted on 18/11/04 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
i must comfess, i bought 2 jars the other day (in a supermarket, not ebay...)

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

marcyboy

posted on 18/11/04 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
i would'nt mind but branston is shite!!!!,
ploughmans is nicer.

but nothing really beats a bit of home made chutney,
and please no connection with ferrets!! my bread aint buttered that way

Peteff

posted on 18/11/04 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
I made 8 jars last month.

Apple chutney because we had a good crop. I've never tried it on ferret though. I like it on cheese. Call me narrow minded but ferret and pickle just doesn't sound right. You'll be flogging garlic bread or cheese cake next.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JoelP

posted on 18/11/04 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
cheese cake?!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

David Jenkins

posted on 18/11/04 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Or even quiche! (pardon my bad language...)

David

bob

posted on 18/11/04 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Sunbury tescos had a rack full yesterday

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.