Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Everyone got their fire extinguishers?
Hodor

posted on 20/8/15 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Everyone got their fire extinguishers?

http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/driver-cheats-death-by-seconds-as-car-explodes-1-3861000
loggyboy

posted on 20/8/15 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Makes way for another MK to get 'registered'.

Mistral Motorsport

David Jenkins

posted on 20/8/15 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
I have an extinguisher in my car - but I'd only give it a 50% chance of putting out an engine fire. If there's a heap of smoke coming out from under my ali bonnet, I'd be very reluctant to undo the bonnet and lift it up. I might try - but there's a high risk of getting burnt, so I might well chicken out and stand a safe distance away.

kj

posted on 20/8/15 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Form the fire comes the Phoenix in the form of an MK. Lucky it was not an MK on Dutton plates

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

SteveWalker

posted on 20/8/15 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
A few years ago I remember seeing a fire extinguisher with a spike designed to punch through the bonnet so that you could extinguish a fire without the risk of lifting the bonnet.
Hodor

posted on 20/8/15 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
That is a good idea.
bi22le

posted on 20/8/15 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Checker ali side panels, what was he thinking?!?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

loggyboy

posted on 21/8/15 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Checker ali side panels, what was he thinking?!?

Its a dutton, no one who owns one of those thinks!

Mistral Motorsport

r1_pete

posted on 21/8/15 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
Wonder if his plants were OK......
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Irony

posted on 21/8/15 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
What could cause such a rapidly developing fire. Surely only a severed fuel line with the pump pumping petrol into the hot engine bay?
ragindave

posted on 21/8/15 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Always a plus side can use the V5 on something decent now....
r1_pete

posted on 21/8/15 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
What could cause such a rapidly developing fire. Surely only a severed fuel line with the pump pumping petrol into the hot engine bay?

One culprit could be if he was using the older spec flexible fuel lines with modern fuel, and hadn't noticed the deterioration....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DapperRob

posted on 21/8/15 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Journalistic license to dramaticise.

trextr7monkey

posted on 21/8/15 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DapperRob
quote:

Journalistic license to dramaticise.

Getting carried away with the vapours from the fire I would say - I doubt if the average price for a Dutton is 3k but I stand to be corrected 😊

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

BenB

posted on 21/8/15 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
The eye witness saw it going along the road with flames underneath it so a ruptured fuel line in the transmission tunnel would be my guess.
I drive around with a token gesture fire extinguisher as well as an emergency tyre repair can. It might do something with a small fire but that's about it. Probably more useful carrying around some marshmallows!

David Jenkins

posted on 21/8/15 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Probably more useful carrying around some marshmallows!

coyoteboy

posted on 21/8/15 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
I've been seriously contemplating a Lifeline type system in my build. I'd hate to see it up in flames. I think prevention is better than cure though, there's not THAT many things that can cause fire if it's designed and laid out correctly.

[Edited on 21/8/15 by coyoteboy]

Johneturbo

posted on 21/8/15 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
I'd guess fuel line ruptured ( by the propshaft in my case) as I remember my first one going up like that, in about 20 seconds I knew it was a lost cause to save it!

think there are some photos of mine on here, kinda looked like that one at the end

Humbug

posted on 21/8/15 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hodor
http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/driver-cheats-death-by-seconds-as-car-explodes-1-3861000

"1980s classic car"

craig1410

posted on 21/8/15 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a small extinguisher under the passenger's side of the scuttle but as others have said, there's no way it would be enough to prevent a fire fed by a major fuel leak.

I once managed to JUST put out an under bonnet fuel fire on an old Vauxhall Cavalier when the alternator wire chaffed on something down the back of the engine which caused the oily deposits to catch fire which in turn melted the carburettor float chamber which caused the fire to accelerate.

Standing in a phone box (it was early 1990's) talking to my future wife and I saw sparks spitting out beneath the wheel arches. It was dark so I hadn't noticed the smoke initially. I politely told her that "my car's on fire, I'll need to call you back" and hung up!

Fortunately I had a radiator leak and had two gallons of plain water in the boot which, despite knowing it might just make the fire worse, I decided to use to put it out. It took every drop of that water to get the job done and I honestly thought I was going to have to find an "alternate source" of additional fluid to complete the task!

The damage wasn't too bad with just a new carb, repairs to the wiring and a coolant hose needing replaced.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.