Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ford wasted spark coil pack pin out.
D4ENX

posted on 29/11/15 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Ford wasted spark coil pack pin out.

Hey guys and gals, I'm having second thoughts about my wiring to the coilpack when I made my loom for the omex 600.

It's says pin 1,2 and 3 but I don't remember seeing a number on the plug to indicate which was which, looking at the coilpack would the pins runs 1,2,3 or 3,2,1?
I wired it up as 1,2,3 but seen things on the net to suggest its 3,2,1 but cat be sure.

Thanks, dean.

jeffw

posted on 29/11/15 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
On the basis you don't have a spark it would suggest that it is wrong. Do you have 12V on the the central pin?

rusty nuts

posted on 29/11/15 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
If you have a spark but it's not firing an easy test is to swap the HT leads around. If you have wired the ignition feed to the centre connection but have no spark your problem is elsewhere
D4ENX

posted on 29/11/15 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Bit of an update on that, I now have a spark and fuel, turned out the fuse for the permanent 12v live had blown, after trying to start it up yesterday I got a few pops and the engine juddered a bit but didn't start, so I'm assuming I got it wrong. Silly mistake but hopefully it is that and I can now sort it out.

jeffw

posted on 29/11/15 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
I guess from that you don't have a Fuel Pressure gauge, fault finding a system without a fuel pressure gauge is very diifficult. If you had a gauge you would know that the HP fuel pump wasn't running.

rusty nuts

posted on 29/11/15 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Might be your cold start settings causing problems starting, when I installed my Emerald system I didn't waste any time on them , just squirted brake cleaner down the inlets which got it firing when warmed up a bit I played with the settings to get it idling before adjusting higher up the rev range . You can always adjust cold start settings later. Have you tried switching the HT leads around on the coil pack?
D4ENX

posted on 29/11/15 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Yes I have a fuel pressure gauge but I run an external Bosch 044 fuel pump and that runs offignition live so nothing to do with the ecu, I had fuel pressure but nothing else, all working fine now though apart from the suspected coilpack wiring fault.

jeffw

posted on 29/11/15 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
You should run the HP fuel pump from the ECU...

britishtrident

posted on 29/11/15 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
You can check both the injectors and coils are getting pulsed using 2 to 5 watt 12v test lamp as a noid lamp.

An old fashion incandescent 5 watt lamp puts just enough load on the circuit to show up a fault in wiring, earths or driver without over loading the circuit.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

D4ENX

posted on 29/11/15 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
There's no problem with the fuel or spark now apart from the wiring the the coiack, I just need to know is ecu ign 1 on the picture above for cylinders 1-4 or 2-3?

Thanks thoug matey

[Edited on 29/11/15 by D4ENX]

[Edited on 29/11/15 by D4ENX]

britishtrident

posted on 29/11/15 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Find no1 compression stroke is , ignition off take all the plugs out except no1 with all coils disconnected turn the engine by hand until you start feel compresion.
Remove no 1 plug.
With no plugs fitted reconnect no1 & 4 coil lay the no1 and no 4 plug leads on top of the engine with plugs inserted in the ends of the leads so you can see the spark.
Ignition on turn the engine over by hand you should see a spark as no1 or no 4 cylinder approaches TDC.

[Edited on 29/11/15 by britishtrident]

[Edited on 29/11/15 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

fossett

posted on 29/11/15 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Check THIS

Its really well explained here!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.