Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Somewhere nice, near to Glasgow?
David Jenkins

posted on 18/8/16 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Somewhere nice, near to Glasgow?

Me and my good lady are driving up to Scotland mid-September to visit my brother, who lives near Nairn. We will be touring Scotland for a week before going there, and as part of this trip we plan a day trip to Glasgow - we've given up on Edinburgh as it's now just a tourist trap in the city centre. I've been to Glasgow ages ago, and wouldn't mind seeing it again. I'll even get a phrase book, if necessary!

However, I don't want to stay in the city, or drive there - what I'd like to do is stay in a nearby town that has a good rail link into the centre of Glasgow, so that we can leave the car at the B&B/hotel & ride in and out on a day return.

So - can anyone suggest a pleasant location that has B&Bs and/or small hotels, with a good and fairly quick rail link into the city?

Sam_68

posted on 18/8/16 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
It's not so very far to Loch Lomond, and there's a railway station at Balloch, though I've no idea what the frequency of service is like, these days.
HowardB

posted on 18/8/16 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
I used to stay near Whitburn. There is a train line from East to west, places like Bathgate and linlithgow might be worth a punt. ..

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

trextr7monkey

posted on 18/8/16 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Largs is a beautiful spot to stay and great for ice cream. I am very averse to hanging about for public transport so have no idea of how it is connected. Well worth exploring for your specific circumstances
Atb Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

David Jenkins

posted on 18/8/16 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trextr7monkey
I am very averse to hanging about for public transport so have no idea of how it is connected.

I spent a few decades commuting from Suffolk into London, so the odd trip on public transport is acceptable!

Largs looks like a possibility - only 1 hour into Glasgow, with a regular service. I'll look at the other suggestions soon (if I can get ScotRail's website to cooperate - what an unhelpful site that is!)

[Edited on 18/8/16 by David Jenkins]

britishtrident

posted on 18/8/16 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Largs or Helensburgh would be good senic choice both are both a a bit of a hike from Glasgow but have good rail links to Glasgow
If you fancy a short ferry journey Millport a mile by ferry from Largs.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 18/8/16 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
It's not so very far to Loch Lomond, and there's a railway station at Balloch, though I've no idea what the frequency of service is like, these days.

I think it is every 30 minutes these days.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

sprintB+

posted on 18/8/16 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
I recently stayed at Loch Lomond camp site. Excellent place and as said close enough for Glasgow via the bus/train route. Great pub in the village with good affordable food.
sdh2903

posted on 18/8/16 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
I like a stroll at Largs for an ice cream but am not sure I would want to overnight there. Its a bit rough round the edges these days and a bit tatty. If you do head there the trains are every half hour or so to glasgow central.

I would go for the Loch lomond option. Trains to Balloch are about 45 mins from Glasgow. From memory if you go from Queen Street it's direct. If you go from central you have to change trains. It's only a 10 min stroll between queen Street and central. If you do stay in Loch lomond continue up to Arrochar and over the rest and be thankful. It's a nice drive and my evening blat road of choice when I had the kit.

Other option would be Stirling area. Good trains and nice part of the country.

[Edited on 18/8/16 by sdh2903]

David Jenkins

posted on 18/8/16 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the suggestions - I'll give them all some thought.

v8kid

posted on 18/8/16 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
The garden rooms edinburgh is highly recommended by me. Great value and you may be lucky and get a vacancy. Breakfast in the Bluebird Cafe down the road is an experience not to be missed. Google it to see if Im right
Cheers

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 19/8/16 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Stay up near lomond. Personally though, I'd rather drive in - parking is cheap and easy - I drive in daily because the 1hr buses from our village go round every possible place on the way and only drop me at the wrong side of town, making the multiple bus journey more expensive than fuel and parking.

David Jenkins

posted on 19/8/16 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I have now booked a place in Balloch, just a short walk from the station. I'm more than happy to leave the car and travel by train to Glasgow, as the day before we'll have driven over 430 miles (about 7 hours, not including the pee breaks) to get to the B&B!

Thanks for all the help.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.