Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2D cad software
TKPM

posted on 22/5/17 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
2D cad software

Hi Guys,

Can anyone recommend a free 2D cad software, so I can design a wiring diagram.

Thanks
Terry

big-vee-twin

posted on 22/5/17 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Draught Sight, very good. I use the professional version.

link

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

bart

posted on 23/5/17 at 12:35 AM Reply With Quote
Yep as good as autocad.
A seconder for draftsight

BE ALERT > BRITAIN NEEDS LERTS

nick205

posted on 23/5/17 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
I'm interested in this too. Used to use AutoCAD 2D and Solid Edge 3D at work, but having move to the sales side of the business I no longer use either. I'd like to be able to produce some dimensioned drawings of simple components. Mainly for having things made.

To those that recommend Draftsight can you post up any example drawings you've done?

Nathsx

posted on 23/5/17 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
I use Tekla mostly due to working in the steelwork industry, however we use draftsight alot.
Its not really any different to Autocad.

We typically export drawings into .dwg format for use in draftsight etc.

ZWCAD is another good alternative

I do prefer draftsight though

nick205

posted on 23/5/17 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Installed Draftsight, but then it returns an "error" when I try to register and refuses to open.

Not much cop for me I'm afraid

bart

posted on 23/5/17 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
you have installed the wrong version
there are 32 bit and 64 bit versions it will not run if you have the wrong version.

its as good as autocad. I use both on a daily professional basis there is very little difference between the 2

when up and running use the classic interface I find it better but then i'm an old git and used autocad for some 15 years or so

nick205

posted on 23/5/17 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bart
you have installed the wrong version
there are 32 bit and 64 bit versions it will not run if you have the wrong version.

its as good as autocad. I use both on a daily professional basis there is very little difference between the 2

when up and running use the classic interface I find it better but then i'm an old git and used autocad for some 15 years or so

Noted - I'd installed the 64 bit version, but will try the 32 bit version.

ETA - installed 64 bit as my laptop is 64 bit.

[Edited on 23/5/17 by nick205]

nick205

posted on 23/5/17 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Well the 32 bit version won't even install - stops and says "you have a 64 bit OS, please download and install the 64 bit version".

Out of patience now.

What a PITA

1. Re-installed the 64 bit version
2. Received the "activation" email, clicked the link and got a "success" webpage
3. Tried to open Draftsight.....nothing

A bit of a joke really

richardm6994

posted on 23/5/17 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
I must admit, I was very sceptical when I first downloaded draftsight. I remember thinking that I've used AutoCAD for years, so how can free software be anywhere near as good?!?! surely it will be limited etc.....
Well the truth of the situation was that apart from a couple of minor differences, generally speaking draftsight and autoCAD are identical.

Very impressed, especially given draftsight is free

TKPM

posted on 23/5/17 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
I installed Draught Sight , but i keep getting an error message when I try to activate it through there website.

Looks like i'm going to do it the old way, pass me the pen and paper

Terry

[Edited on 23/5/17 by TKPM]

[Edited on 23/5/17 by TKPM]

bart

posted on 23/5/17 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Don get it. U can run for 30 days without a licence. I have just created a sand box and installed no problem. Confused of bolton

bart

posted on 23/5/17 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Ps don't think it will run on xp !

TKPM

posted on 23/5/17 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
I've just tried again to activate it again and it now works. Now just have to work out how to use it lol

Terry

bart

posted on 23/5/17 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Easy peasey lemon difficult.
But there again I do use cad for a living.
P's plenty of help on youtub

TKPM

posted on 23/5/17 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the tip Bart

Terry

Neville Jones

posted on 23/5/17 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Early Draftsight responded to the Autocad keyboard shortcuts, so was Autocad in all but name.

The later versions don't respond to the same shortcuts that the early did. Been using Acad since '93, version 10. Draftsight is about the best software for purpose that you can get.

Cheers,
Nev.

nick205

posted on 25/5/17 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Fiddling got the better of me so I tried again with the 64 bit version.

Activation email worked this time and now the software runs OK.

Might have some time over the weekend to play with it.

Used to be an everyday user of AutoCAD, but not for a good few years so there'll no doubt be some learning to do.

bart

posted on 25/5/17 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
As I say use classic interface

nick205

posted on 25/5/17 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bart
As I say use classic interface

Is there somewhere in the software to change the "interface"?

bart

posted on 25/5/17 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
top left hand pull down box , 2 options ribbon or classic

russbost

posted on 3/10/17 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Resurrecting an old thread!

First, I don't appear to have a pull down box as mentioned in the above post, are there several different versions of Draftsight or am I just being thick!?

Secondly, I have loads of old drawings I did using a different drawing programme which has now failed & is no longer available (it didn't work with Windows 10 anyway so was already giving me problems), all the old drawing files are saved as .dwg as my laser cutting firm want, however, if I open one of the old drawings in DS although you can view it & it all looks fine, if I try to edit it then the grid doesn't automatically match the drawing, if I change grid spacing to 0.25 it then appears to match points on the grid to points on the drawing, but if you turn "snap" on then it goes barmy & snaps all over the place to bizarre points! I can overcome it by turning "snap" off & going manually to a point to draw from, but I'm worried that if I then edit & save, what the laser cutters are going to see isn't what I intended as measurements from the original drawing don't appear to match dimensions on the new drawing (sorry, this is really hard to explain!) - I'm guessing something is bastardised in the swap between drawing progs?

So, therefore I think anything I need to edit I am going to have to redraw from scratch, with that in mind, is anyone aware of any long term restrictions using the Free version of DS. ie am I going to need to buy the product at some point & what are the long term costs if that's the case?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
bart

posted on 3/10/17 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
I will u2u you

russbost

posted on 3/10/17 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Bart, many thanks for your assistance!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.