Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cycle power meters?
nick205

posted on 24/5/17 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Cycle power meters?

New project at work - looking at crank arm cycle power meters.

Bought a cheap non-drive side crank arm to play with, but I wonder do many cyclists actually use power meters.

I'm a keen cyclist myself, but it's not something that I've ever really wanted (tend to work on the sweat basis - i.e. if you're sweating enough you're turning out the power you can).

So...any cyclists on here that use such products and able to provide feedback on them?

Thanks,
Nick

SJ

posted on 24/5/17 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
I use them all the time. They are called hills.
nick205

posted on 24/5/17 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
I use them all the time. They are called hills.

Good point!

I have used the Strava app for a while, which gives you a record of where you've been and the times you (and others) have done.

hughpinder

posted on 24/5/17 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
I haven't used one, but we do triathlons and my Mrs bought the 'training bible', which lists a power meter as an essential piece of kit (and it doesn't list many things outside of the bike, helmet, clip on shoes). I haven't reached that bit of the book yet, so don't know what you are supposed to use them for.

I was looking for a training watch thing and found this site:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/09/power-meters-buyers-guide2016-edition.html
which seems to be pretty good for fitness things including power meters.
Regards
Hugh

nick205

posted on 24/5/17 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you Hugh - some more reading to do!

I should be clear and say I'm certainly not against power meters, just unsure of them and whether I'd ever spend my own money on one.

jps

posted on 24/5/17 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
I ride a fair bit - and know plenty of 'club' cyclists who compete in time trials and road races. This is entirely amateur ranks - but it's not a sport you can dabble in - most guys will be at least 8-10 hours a week on their bikes and training purposefully.

I've just got back into it - after a lay off since 2013. When I 'left' hardly anyone had a power meter - they cost £1K + easily i think at that time. Costs have come down though.

Just based on the small sample of people I ride with - I would say now that at least 20% of the guys racing have power meters. Certainly those who take it the most seriously do.

Until a few years ago heart-rate used to be the typical measuring tool for training. As a result I would hazard a guess that at least 75% of guys riding have heart rate monitors these days (they are often included in bike GPS - which are also highly prevalent).

Using HR has limitations which, apparently, power measurement does not. So shifting over to power meters is becoming 'trendier' - even if in reality people do not put in place all the protocols they should have around training which would mean these approaches yield the best returns...

Nick - re "tend to work on the sweat basis - i.e. if you're sweating enough you're turning out the power you can." - to someone who is doing their riding recreationally or as a general 'to keep fit' activity - there is probably no attraction, unless you are a data geek.

I think racing attracts people who are competitive - and once they start competing they start looking to work out how they can win. For cycling this mainly = better physical training (over anything that £££ can sort out), and people rapidly find they want the biggest return on investment from their training. This is where power meters/heart rate monitors come in - there's huge amounts of science around exercise.

Personally I am not interested in laying out the cash for a power meter - I don't believe that it gives a sufficient advantage over 'old fashioned' heart rate monitor based training. However there are plenty of people who do believe it gives them the edge...

JAG

posted on 24/5/17 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
I currently use a Heart Rate Monitor to gauge 'perceived effort' based on Heart Rate Zones when I'm on a ride.

If Power Meters were cheaper I'd already have one

I should add that by cheaper I mean less than 150 GBP and it linked wirelessly to my GPS Cycle computer.

[Edited on 24/5/17 by JAG]

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

nick205

posted on 24/5/17 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks - more useful info.

Agreed if they were lower cost I might be more tempted.

Aside from outright fitness I've also found rider weight plays a big part - the less you weigh the less you're hauling around and therefore the faster you go.

jps

posted on 24/5/17 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Aside from outright fitness I've also found rider weight plays a big part - the less you weigh the less you're hauling around and therefore the faster you go.

Depends on terrain massively - plenty of time trial events in the UK are run on dual-carriageways which typically don't have the big inclines in them and the speeds are 'assisted' by the passing traffic. LOTS of 'club level' riders can break the hour for a 25 mile TT (so they're averaging over 25mph) - fast riders are going well under that - aerodynamics therefore can be a much greater consideration in some cases.

And, to be fair, in road race events these can be decisive factors as well. Often bunch races, certainly in the lower categories, finish in a mass sprint. As long as you've got to the finish it'll be about who has the most aero sprinting position and the greatest power who might well win - the skinny blokes can get left in the dust!

nick205

posted on 25/5/17 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

Depends on terrain massively - plenty of time trial events in the UK are run on dual-carriageways which typically don't have the big inclines in them and the speeds are 'assisted' by the passing traffic. LOTS of 'club level' riders can break the hour for a 25 mile TT (so they're averaging over 25mph) - fast riders are going well under that - aerodynamics therefore can be a much greater consideration in some cases.

And, to be fair, in road race events these can be decisive factors as well. Often bunch races, certainly in the lower categories, finish in a mass sprint. As long as you've got to the finish it'll be about who has the most aero sprinting position and the greatest power who might well win - the skinny blokes can get left in the dust!

Terrain certainly plays a part! Personally I've found if I lose some weight I tend to be faster (particularly on climbs). The more years I gain the harder any weight loss seems to get, but still worth it in my view. Another element may be that I don't compete with other cyclists.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.