Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Plastic shed bases
John G

posted on 10/11/17 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Plastic shed bases

Looking to put up a 6 x 8 shed for the kid's bikes etc. Does anyone have experience of plastic bases for sheds? Any to recomend or steer clear of?
Regards John.

nick205

posted on 10/11/17 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
No experience of plastic shed bases, so can't comment on them.

For both my timber sheds I laid a concrete slab. Dug out around 6" and laid/tamped some hardcore. Assembled a wooden frame using old 2"x4" timber and mixed, poured and tamped the slab. The top face of the slab itself was 4" proud of the surrounding ground to keep the timber shed out of the damp. Both sheds have held up well and kept dry bases. Similar to you they house bikes, mower, garden tools etc.

I was lucky enough to borrow an electric cement mixer from my Dad. Mixing it by hand would have been a pretty hard slog!

ianhurley20

posted on 10/11/17 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
I have a plastic shed bought from Bodge it and Quit a few years ago. It was reduced from a ridiculous £360 ish to £40 for some reason so I bought it. Its a bit like plastic cardboard, easy to assemble, very waterproof. It will blow away in a strong wind if its not weighted down and it needs a flat base ready to put it on. I wouldn't buy one full price but it does very well hiding all the junk I've got. Oh - forget security - a blunt pair of scissors and you can make a new door!

simon h

posted on 10/11/17 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
I used bases from Ecodeck for my shed, here.

They sell on ebay but direct was just easier for the number I wanted. Nice and easy to lay, just needed a big bag of gravel for my base, about 16x12.

They are a little shy on the membrane size to what you need but it wasn't a major issue.

nick205

posted on 10/11/17 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simon h
I used bases from Ecodeck for my shed, here.

They sell on ebay but direct was just easier for the number I wanted. Nice and easy to lay, just needed a big bag of gravel for my base, about 16x12.

They are a little shy on the membrane size to what you need but it wasn't a major issue.

Looks good enough to me!

As above I was able to borrow the cement mixer making my work easier to lay a concrete slab. Otherwise I suspect I'd have used this or similar.

McLannahan

posted on 10/11/17 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
I used something very similar to Simon.

Levelled the ground as best I could.

Laid down weed barrier membrane (larger than my tiled area)

Laid the "tiles" on top of that - they just clicked together. Pegged a few down for good measure.

Poured in some second hand gravel that someone wanted rid from their garden.

It was quick, easy and it's very solid. Put the shed base on the top and it's perfect, really pleased with it.

I'd recommend these tiles - so much quicker/neater than concrete.

Michael

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.