Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ST170 Engine in Tiger Avon
Barksavon

posted on 9/3/18 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
ST170 Engine in Tiger Avon

I'm putting a ST170 engine in my Avon and having fabricated some engine mounts the engine looks to be sitting much too high, the top of the cam cover is about 195mm above the top chassis rails and there's no way the bonnet will fit without modification. I've fitted a one piece steel sump and have around 110mm ground clearance
The car previously had a pinto fitted, I've not changed the position of the type 9 gearbox and the engine is sitting level front to rear. I don't think my engine mounts are too big. Is it normal to have to modify the Avon's bonnet when fitting a zetec????
Thanks
Ian

furryeggs

posted on 9/3/18 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
The standard blacktop/silver fits without modifying the bonnet. The avon has the bulge to accomodate the engine hieght as the avon body is quite shallow hieght wise.
I’m not sure if the ST is a taller engine though, as it’s basically a blacktop with a different head.

snippy

posted on 10/3/18 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
You've done well to achieve 110mm ground clearance. Could you not consider reducing this to help? My Cat E1 has about 70mm and has been like this for 12 yrs now. It's running a zetec with chopped sump. The GTA I am now building from an Avon conversion only has 40mm at the minute which is a bit too low so I am making up some spacers to lift it another 40mm up to 80mm. You could also consider chopping your sump to lower it all further?
Nick

chris

posted on 10/3/18 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
yes the st170 is slightly taller and its not just the vvt solenoid
i had to cut the alloy cambelt cover when i swapped my belt and idler pulley over from my zetec
i had to cut a hole in my bonnet so the vvt solenoid could stick through

[Edited on 10/3/18 by chris]

Barksavon

posted on 10/3/18 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Yes 110mm clearance is probably more than I need...my concern is that if I lower the engine I would need to modify the gearbox mount and the propshaft would be higher at the diff end than at the g/box end.... Would this matter ?
Thanks

Angel Acevedo

posted on 10/3/18 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barksavon

...my concern is that if I lower the engine I would need to modify the gearbox mount and the propshaft would be higher at the diff end than at the g/box end

.... Would this matter ?
Thanks

Regarding propshaft, angles involved are more important than height differences (Provided they´re not excessive)
If when you repositioned the engine, gearbox didn´t change angle, or if it changed very little, it shouldn´t matter.
i hope my answer makes sense.
Best regards
AA

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Barksavon

posted on 11/3/18 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Yes makes sense... Centre lines of gearbox output shaft and diff input need to be parallel, a bit of difference in vertical position is acceptable.
Thanks

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.