Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 3d printer sheeps leg
ali f27

posted on 22/7/18 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
3d printer sheeps leg

Here we go i have a lamb sheep that lost a leg and Jane thinks maby we could get her a 3d printed leg thought i would run it passed the collective and see what can be done.
balidey

posted on 22/7/18 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
A prosthetic leg, sure. But 3D printing, although fashionable and what everyone defaults to, is not often the best material choice.
I think for a sheep, a sturdy aluminium bar for the main leg, with perhaps a GRP cup at the top.
If you did want to use 3D printing, then clever design is the key (what most people I see online with 3D printers are lacking in). Perhaps create an internal cavity so that you can integrate inner steel rods for strength.
Good luck.

[Edited on 22/7/18 by balidey]

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

nero1701

posted on 22/7/18 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
I can just see it now...
Sainsburys Artificial leg of lamb...

ali f27

posted on 22/7/18 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote

02GF74

posted on 22/7/18 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry if this seems insensitive but is there any reason why you can't eat it, there's plenty of good recipes out there.

I can understand the bond between a cat or a dog but how many people have a pet sheep.

If you really are intent on keeping it, then I doubt the material used in 3d printers, unless it is sintered Ti which will cost an arm and a leg, is strong or durable enough.

The usual solution I've seen for animals with missing legs is a trolley type arrangement. Google animal wheelchair.

[Edited on 22/7/18 by 02GF74]

bi22le

posted on 22/7/18 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
I work with a high end plastic 3D printer and it won't provide you with a reliable cheap solution.

I think the previous replies are on the money ( I also used to work with prosthetics!) With aluminium and GRP top.

But if I am honest. Let the sheep get on. Make sure the amputation won't get infected and it will be fine. They (did) have 4 legs, 3 is still ample!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/7/18 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
not sure why this would be a particular problem with a sheep, there are plenty of 3 legged cats and dogs wandering around quite happy. For standing there eating grass whats the issue?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ali f27

posted on 23/7/18 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys thanks for all the replies have kept sheep most of my life and still grow them for my freezer but my neighbors horse broke this ones leg as a lamb and we had to nurse it to get it this far i dont need it to eat so just thought i could give it a bit of quality of life will have a think maby we can engineer something
It has nothing to do with me having 2 wellies and her having 1 leg honest .

bi22le

posted on 23/7/18 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ali f27
Hi guys thanks for all the replies have kept sheep most of my life and still grow them for my freezer but my neighbors horse broke this ones leg as a lamb and we had to nurse it to get it this far i dont need it to eat so just thought i could give it a bit of quality of life will have a think maby we can engineer something
It has nothing to do with me having 2 wellies and her having 1 leg honest .

Ha ha, I thought that was a city dwellers joke on country folk only. I like it!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

nick205

posted on 24/7/18 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
We've a 3D printer at work and have printed some parts from CAD prior to making £££ injection mould tools. Prior to having our own printer we used to buy in 3D printed parts to try.

While very useful to check things in relation to what will be injection moulded plastic parts it has to be said the output from the printers is usually quite fragile. As above I think I'd be considering alloy tube for the limb parts and perhaps GRP for the limb/animal interface cup.

This reminds me of a chap living near me who's dog lost both rear legs after being run over. The dog now has what I can only describe as a trolly (wheeled) type device where it's rear legs were. It allows the dog to walk propel itself using it's front legs whilst the rear end follows. It must take quite some abdominal/back strength to maintain it's balance, but it works and both dog and owner seem happy.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.