Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Work shop build, started
b14wrc

posted on 15/10/18 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Work shop build, started

Well we moved house last September and left behind my old garage I had spent a long time isulating and boarding out to start my locost. So I'm back to square 1 as my garage is a single course concrete block construction, the good point it is 6x6m. So is twice the size of my old one and now we have the drive way sorted, I've turned my attention to the work shop.

Gathered materials over past few weeks and this weekend finished work Thursday to have a long weekend at it, partner and kids away for a week so I used my time wisely. Doesn't look like I've achieved that much, but there was a lot of wiring to remove and as I have no storage yet I have to move stuff around. Anyway you get a good idea of what I'm doing:

Basically foil lined vapour barrier direct to the brick, 100mm of battens at 600mm centres, then another layer of foil, I've foil taped all the joints, the whole garage is getting that treatment with new double glazed windows on the other side. I am going to run conduit (16mm deep) where I need it then 12.5mm plasterboard to finish, 9 on the ceiling. Lot of work to do, but stage 1 is to complete the above on the whole garage, phase 2 is to board, skim and wire (include LED lighting) then phase 3 will be to build the work benches and stowage, seen a ikea kitchen I want. I'm going to integrate a beer fridge. Will be good when finished. Entertainment and wood burner will be stage 4...... going to install a projector along with a high powered sound system. It will be a decent man cave / work shop. Then I might finally get the car finished lol, my partner said today next you will be tiling the floor.... the thought had crossed my mind actually.

More to come.

Rob

20vt powered rear engined locost

big_wasa

posted on 15/10/18 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Don’t forget a dish washer next to the fridge for them oily engine parts.
b14wrc

posted on 15/10/18 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Yes got one, that's what the blue pipe is for, supplying cold water to the sink and dish washer.

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/10/18 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
I see where this is going....

You will be watching films, drinking beer rather than working on the car and it will end up holding up a pool table...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
trextr7monkey

posted on 17/10/18 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
2 ovens - one for pies and one for powder coating. Should be snug in there if you stop all the drafts. Is girder for a hoist too?
Atb
Mikew

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

b14wrc

posted on 17/10/18 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
To be honest its pretty dry and draft free as it was, its really only the door that lets in a draft. I am going to add brushes to the door eventually.

Yes,, the girder is for a full width lifting crane, I need a decent block and tackle but it will work a treat if I need to lift the car off the table or put the engine in. I will be posting photos when I go anyway, have a bit of a build blog. The main thing is I have a plan of what is needed, the past year I have just been messing around in there....!

nick205

posted on 17/10/18 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Nice - nothing like a comfy place to work in the evenings and weekends.

The steel beam certainly looks handy for lifting too.

AlexXtreme

posted on 18/10/18 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good and I should do the same! What are you doing about the damp course and avoiding any bridging?
b14wrc

posted on 21/10/18 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hadn't really thought about the damp course, I think the membrane should hold it back, but to be honest it's a pretty dry garage, even on a wet weekend like this!

b14wrc

posted on 21/10/18 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote

I've started the next wall, hoping to get it insulated and installed next week, it's free standing so he garage door slides "open" behind it, will allow me to fix cupboards above my lathe and use the space more efficiently.

I'll be thickening up all the frames, that should take the cupboards.

Rob

[Edited on 21/10/18 by b14wrc]

b14wrc

posted on 22/10/18 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote

That's almost the finished frame, going to fix to floor, above the door slide and side wall, should be study enough to support cupboards, I know I've lost 210mm of space, but once insulated, the space will be much more usable, I'll run some decent lighting for the lathe and there won't be worries of things snagging on the door when I come to open it, that's the main problem now, things tend to go behind the lathe and roll cab and get in the way of the door. Some decent seal brushes should keep the drafts out.

Plan to insulate the back of the door too, but I'll keep it light weight I think and pretty low profile to minimise the amount of space the wall needs to allow.

Thursday I plan to get that finished and start the back wall. Pretty decent rate at the moment, few hours here and there seems to make a difference.

Rob

b14wrc

posted on 28/10/18 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Had a good week off for my birthday and managed nearly two full days working on the garage, progress, starting to get there, going to be hard to keep the pace up with a young family, but I'm not in a rush really.

Got the lathe positioned where I want it and that wall is structural enough now to take the cupboards I'm fitting above the lathe.

Now to start insulating the next wall..... bit of a mess!

So now I need to think about new widows and complete the final two walls, the roof is going to be a bit tricky.

There is a car under all that mess! Lol.

Rob

b14wrc

posted on 17/11/18 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Update on the door:

trextr7monkey

posted on 18/11/18 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
That’s looking really good you seem to have enough space to move stuff about while working. I have a double garage under the house built on Bison beams and could do with adding sound insulation and a plaster board ceiling and it’s so full of stuff that it’s a struggle knowing where to start!

Look forward to seeing it finished

b14wrc

posted on 18/11/18 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks.

b14wrc

posted on 25/12/18 at 02:46 AM Reply With Quote
Had a few hours Friday night and got this done, happy Christmas!

[IMG]http://i112[URL=http://s1126.photobucket.com/us er/b14wrc/media/E4B05C50-F1F3-46A0-841F-017482DFC4A0.jpg.html]

[URL=http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/b14wrc/media/05CD6390-86DC-479F-BB60-C390186386B3.jpg.html]

Hoping to get a bit more done over the Christmas holiday. Rob

trextr7monkey

posted on 25/12/18 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Great progress- could be driving that car this time next year&#128513;!!

b14wrc

posted on 28/12/18 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Lol, it's getting there.

b14wrc

posted on 28/12/18 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Got some Solar power fitted on the garage roof, powers the house and get paid from the government.

Looking sweet, if the Locost takes any longer to build I might have to convert it to electric and use the solar to charge it up!

Rob

samjc

posted on 29/12/18 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Nice job, in the process of doing mine, did you do the solar system yourself ? Id battery back up first before feeding the grid as the return is rubbish.

Regards

Sam

b14wrc

posted on 30/12/18 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
I didn't fit the solar myself, it was installed for me but it is hocked up to the house. Reason I got it was to save money on my energy bills, we have oil too, and the price of that is always going up. The returns are not as good as they were a few years ago, but the system should bring me an average of 10% ROI. Will see anyway.

Yes, I've looked into a battery, thinking I might do that in a year or so, once I've seen what I'm making. The system is 4KW, and considering the time of year and the weather we have been having is generating a good amount. Since the system was fitted, about 6/7 weeks ago it's generated around 90kWh.

Hoping to get back to the garage build later today. So expect some more updates.

Rob

b14wrc

posted on 14/1/19 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Build table

So as a little side project, I wanted to build a new build table, one with wheels so I could use my new work shop more flexibly once it’s all finished in the summer. The under tray will be used to stow my grey plastic boxes.

It still needs work but it’s getting there. Hoping next weekend to finish it and get the final wall sorted. Means my focus can turn to ordering my new double glazing. That should really start to change things!

Rob

b14wrc

posted on 16/2/19 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
So I finally fitted my new windows yesterday, big improvement!

Next job is to put a new hole in the wall for the stove as I don’t want to use the one already in the roof, and I need to finish the window reveals on the outside, pebble dashed.

The next phase of the garage is to do the insulating in the roof, shouldn’t take too much time. I am building a shed in a few months, that will relieve some of the space constraints I have in the garage which will be a big help when the plaster board arrives. Hoping to get it all finished this summer so I can get back to the car in full next year. Maybe get it finished!

Rob

b14wrc

posted on 30/3/19 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
So a little update, the farmer was upset with my new windows- apparently he doesn’t like the fact I can now see out. So I’ve fixed that with window tints, he complained he didn’t want to see me looking out, so now he can’t.

Also finished the stove, just need some more paint and do the flu brackets.

Rob

trextr7monkey

posted on 30/3/19 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
That garage is like the Tardis! &#128514; External pics looks like a normal size then interior pics reveal a load of space, looks like you are nearly there now.
Atb
Mike

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.