Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Out of curiosity - why does it always seem to be VW Golfs?
David Jenkins

posted on 10/6/19 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Out of curiosity - why does it always seem to be VW Golfs?

When I'm out in my little toy car zooming around the Suffolk and Essex lanes, I occasionally get pillocks who feel that they have to race me. I don't oblige - I stick to speed limits (mostly) - but I get fed up with either a car right up my tail, or one in front of me who can't corner anywhere near as fast as I can no matter how quick they are in a straight line. I've even seen it when the driver has his young family in the car.

And it always seems to be a Golf Gti...

What is it with Golf cars and their drivers?!

rusty nuts

posted on 10/6/19 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
It’s funny how the drop back when they realise they can’t corner as well .
loggyboy

posted on 10/6/19 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Cuz all the clios are always too far ahead?
rusty nuts

posted on 10/6/19 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Cuz all the clios are always too far ahead?

Ah , the diamond of doom!

Abe

posted on 10/6/19 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
I had a Boxster until recently. Man alive, the amount of nutters driving up my asterix was unreal. Got so fed up of it. I can see I may be up for more of that when the Tiger is on the road!
Benzine

posted on 10/6/19 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
It's happened to me too. Going through a local village at 30, then a GTi appears behind me, with a sheet of tin foil between us. I gave it some and left him behind. A mile later and I notice my coolant temps creeping up too high. I had to back off before it hit 100 and he overtook. That's when I decided to sort out the radiator.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 10/6/19 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Biggest issue I get is monospeeders doing 40 everywhere and people getting freaked out by someone who knows how to overtake. Haven't seen anyone get up my rear since I bought the 370Z.

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/6/19 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Then again the roads are not a race track for those who can't afford to use one. Once you have your kids in the back you tend to see the issue.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 10/6/19 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Then again the roads are not a race track for those who can't afford to use one. Once you have your kids in the back you tend to see the issue.

Pretty sure no-one was suggesting they were.

David Jenkins

posted on 11/6/19 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

Pretty sure no-one was suggesting they were.

I was! Though not quite in the same words - I've had boy racers trying to race me while they have family in their car. Last time it happened I changed route to avoid sharing the same road as him.

Simon

posted on 11/6/19 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
That'll be the irony since VW did their "don't be a stereotype" ad with chavs in modified golfs.
CosKev3

posted on 12/6/19 at 06:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
When I'm out in my little toy car zooming around the Suffolk and Essex lanes, I occasionally get pillocks who feel that they have to race me. I don't oblige - I stick to speed limits (mostly) - but I get fed up with either a car right up my tail, or one in front of me who can't corner anywhere near as fast as I can no matter how quick they are in a straight line. I've even seen it when the driver has his young family in the car.

I cant see they are Gtis, probably Golf R's!

These are everywhere due to the cheap PCP deals that are available.

nick205

posted on 12/6/19 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:

There do seem to be a lot of Golf R's about these days and I'm guessing you're right with the cheap deals to get hold of them as well.

CosKev3

posted on 12/6/19 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:

There do seem to be a lot of Golf R's about these days and I'm guessing you're right with the cheap deals to get hold of them as well.

Yeah 99% are only borrowed off VW!

They are a stupidly fast car as standard for the price per month you can get them for.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 12/6/19 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
I think it's a regional thing, around Mansfield it's Focus St's, every puss on the road has one with a horrifically loud exhaust driving like a nutter around the local schools and shops.

I now wince whenever I see a Focus St as I am expecting the worst.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Irony

posted on 13/6/19 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Having a great noisy V8 lots of people try a race and my favourite is to goad them at traffic lights by blipping the throttle and giving them the eye. Then when they do a tire shredding, clutch burning launch I just tootle off the line and go on my way.
Daf

posted on 13/6/19 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
Having a great noisy V8 lots of people try a race and my favourite is to goad them at traffic lights by blipping the throttle and giving them the eye. Then when they do a tire shredding, clutch burning launch I just tootle off the line and go on my way.

Don't try that on me.... I do exactly the same thing!!

Irony

posted on 13/6/19 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Between Leicester and Syston there is a road width restriction to stop lorries cutting down the country lanes. Its about 7ft wide so quite tight with massive curbs either side. I love it when a tailgater is up your bott. They can normally be relied upon to not realise the restrictions there.

I get faster and faster coming up to the restriction and shoot through at 60mph. The looks on a tailgaters face in the rear mirror when they realise they only have 6 inches either side. If your really lucky you can be treated to grinding noises and sometimes sparks

Description
Description

[Edited on 13/6/19 by Irony]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.