Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fixing Front Wings
the_big_1

posted on 10/7/20 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Fixing Front Wings

hi Guys,

Seems lots of different ways people have fixed the wings to the brackets etc and I was wondering what peoples experience, suggestions, donts etc are.

I have seen tiger seal fixing, is this really strong enough?
Fiberglass matting over the brackets, will it crack?
Bolts through, nut to close to tyres?

What are you using?

robertst

posted on 10/7/20 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
My brackets snapped in the middle of the highway just where they bent underneath the cycle wing. It was properly scary. Somehow the rear bracket support held them on long enough for me to pull over to the side of the road.

The wings themselves were stuck with Sikaflex and that was incredibly tough to yank off when I changed the brackets, so it's safe to say they're stuck on there for good.

I've since changed the previous 3mm strips for 6mm (bolted to the uprights, not welded) sikaflexed them again and put a round headed bolt through the inner side of the cycle wings (nut on the outside) for good measure. Clearance from the head of the bolt to the tire is more than 5mm and now they're rock solid.

Fibreglassing them on is a good method, but I suspect it's harder to do right.

Tom

big-vee-twin

posted on 10/7/20 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Fixed mine with Sikaflex, once dry I fibreglassed over them

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

the_big_1

posted on 10/7/20 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
I wonder how both methods would go. Silkaflex to first position and hold. Then glassfiber over?
big-vee-twin

posted on 10/7/20 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Yup

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

the_big_1

posted on 10/7/20 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Might also had an extra piece of metal at the bends to prevent the failures
LBMEFM

posted on 10/7/20 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Laid layers of fibreglass over the brackets and that was twelve years ago and they have never shown signs of cracking etc.
Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 940
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 12/7/20 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
I used this from the Mk Blog been on. 5 years with no problems

http://www.mksportscars.com/blog/cycle-wings-bonding-them-to-you r-wingstays.html

nick205

posted on 13/7/20 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
On my MK Indy I bent the metal wing stays to shape then drilled through the GRP cycle wings and metal wing stays. Tapped the wing metal stays M5 and used dome head stainless Allen set screws (4 per cycle wing) to secure the cycle wings to the stays. Once secured they didn't budge in over 3,000 miles driving.

You can see the fixings in this photo...

James

posted on 14/7/20 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
A good wodge of Sikaflex is more than sufficient, I'm not aware of anyone having the cycle wing come away from the bracket.

The issue seems to always be the bracket snapping where 3mm plate is welded to tube/bar.

That happened to me as well and I repaired it by welding an additional 20mm x 3mm strip over the join. Not a very elegant solution but it seems to have worked for now.

The key point here of course is the weld and it snapping at the HAZ. I note that Caterham just use bent tube which is why we don't hear of legions of Caterham owners being MCOBs ( ;-) ) over their wings snapping!

Cheers,
James

[Edited on 14/7/20 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

steve m

posted on 14/7/20 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Ive said on here many many times, infact so many it should have its own sticky !

Make the frame out of 25 x 5mm bar, 3mm is to flimsy,
attach the bars to the mounts on the stub axle in the approx. position
weld a brace bar between both mounting bars half way up the wheel

Put two bits of 15mm wood on the tyres, and gaffar tape them on, to the tyres
bend the bars over the wheels, the wood gives wheel-mudguard clearance

Trial fit the mudguards over the frame, and araldite the guard to the frame, leave a weight over night on top
Next day take the whole assembly off the car, turn upside down, and cover the bars supporting the mudguard with
fiberglass mat, and resin, a couple of good coverings is best

My setup as stated above lasted 20 years, and I never broke a mounting bracket, nor had a mudguard come off
or even get loose

You could for belt and braces. drill through the bars and guards and put a bolt/nut through, I never did, as it looks ugly imho,

Not a good picture, but shows what I mean by cross bracing the bars

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.