Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Thinking about getting a Robin hood…
Mr Whippy

posted on 22/7/20 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thinking about getting a Robin hood…

So yeah, a lack of inspirational cars is taking it’s toll and driving is becoming exceptionally dull. Having put my orange shopping trolley back together I find I need more. Sadly due to screwing up, getting married and having kids, my me time has hit rock bottom and I’m now only Dad the slave with an impossible list of chores to do…. (I do have my greenhouse but action in there is a bit slow)

Therefor I have decided the only solution is to buy a stupid & impractical sports car as part of some sort of midlife crisis. I don’t have any time to build a car or the budget to buy something fancy so was thinking about a Robin Hood 2b, some pinto thing in there, maybe just a 1.6, 5 speed, don’t care if it’s particularly fast or race track capable cos I won’t be taking it on one. I particularly like the 2b due to the overweight chassis, which I’d feel a tad safer in than a spaceframe. As I’m mental I have no qualms about getting soaked or taking it out in the most inappropriate weather (so long as the carbs don’t freeze cos that really pi$$es me off no end) it would be used to death.

I’m well fed up with my VW Up! and so will be handing it back asap, this means I shall have some cash to take out a new loan to buy the Robin. I was thinking about $3500 would be a decent price to pay for a half tidy one? Maybe getting it nearer the end of the year and sprucing it up over the winter, nothing like spending time in an ice cold garage.

Do you think my choice of the 2b to be (no pun intended) the best choice or am I too narrow focused? Kids are banned, wife is banned so don’t care about how they feel, may even take out the passenger seat to make sure… hey diagonal roll bar brace, sorry guys there’s just no seat for you… aww such a shame

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 22/7/20 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
I read your post and find myself nodding Mr W - I built an MK Indy in my younger days before getting married and having kids. Life now seems a tad slower and the list of chores is longer. Not familiar with the Robin Hood so can't comment on that, but if I made the move the get another 7 like car it would be a nearly finished project or one needing tidying up. Just seems a better value way of doing it and a quicker way of being on the road.

Meanwhile my SWMBO's at my heels for replacing the family tintop - a different and altogether less exciting prospect!

theconrodkid

posted on 22/7/20 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
erm...no, if you are going to splash out on something impractical, make sure it will be fun to drive, having seen the design of and spoken to owners and builders of said cars, i would steer well clear..maybe MX 5

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

40inches

posted on 22/7/20 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Contrary to popular opinion I liked my 2B, it was a challenge to build well. Sat well on the road and drove like a 7
It too had a 1.6 Pinto, and was fun to drive. I would have another, as long as it was well built.
Description
Description
Description
Description

tegwin

posted on 23/7/20 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
Don’t do it... I built a 2B years and years ago and it was a nightmare to get right, even then it was heavy and badly thought out. There are far better cheap toys out there.

Don’t confuse heavy with strong.... the way the Sierra rear subframe attaches is pretty poor for a start.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

40inches

posted on 23/7/20 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
I think you have to go by the individual car, I have seen some shite built main stream kits.
On the other hand my old 2B is still on the road this year. Not bad after 18 years since SVA.

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/7/20 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks, the kind of responses I expected to hear. I know the 2b is a flawed and imperfect design and that’s reflected in the prices I see. However being an old fart really, my days of crazy speeding about are well over and tbh I’m now quite a slow driver so am not needing the all-out race car handling of some of the better 7’s. I’m more after the look and feel of a 7 and the 2b seems a good compromise for mostly pottering about.

I’ll certainly keep my eye out for a bargain even if it is a different make or even home built but my budget is going to be really tight, sadly as I have too many other drains to contend with…

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Tazzzzman1

posted on 23/7/20 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Nothing wrong with a well built Robin Hood....Like above I built mine 12 years ago and its still going strong. There is a lot of snobery around against the Robin Hood and there are some bad ones out there (as there is with most kits), but there also some real Gems out there. Probably the most memorable car Ive had (probably as it was my first build) The Car held its own on a track and was great fun and reliable. Always bought a smile.

£3500-5000 should get a decent one, but check carefully the build, make sure its correctly registered, be prepared to tinker and getting your hands dirty. But most importantly, enjoy. Check on the RHOCAR forum info

Dingz

posted on 23/7/20 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
As said check out build quality, try to avoid the sliding pillar front suspension version. It'll be roomy, and lots of space to fit a variety of seats and if you get an all stainless one no rust worries.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

Benzine

posted on 23/7/20 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
So I have one of these VW Up’s <-- there it is in the pic, had it over a year now and honestly just delighted with it what great car . It’s on finance for 5 years no final payment and just £140 a month so really very cheap and I intend to keep the car till the end of its life whenever that will be or we can no longer buy petrol and then I convert it into an EV

quote:
I’m well fed up with my VW Up! and so will be handing it back asap

No more EV plans?

nick205

posted on 23/7/20 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I’m well fed up with my VW Up!

Dare we ask what you don't like about the VW Up?

IMHO many many more modern cars are insanely boring A-B shopping carts focused on reliability and MPG. For 99% of motorists if it starts and gets you there and back they don't want (or expect) much more. Sadly I think car enthusiasts who like a little more seem to be shrinking in nmbers these days.

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/7/20 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
What don't I like about the up... Cheaply built, can't get used to that ruff little engine just gets wearing. Paint is very very thin and stone chips all the time. Whole car too unrefined, gearbox worst I've ever known for gear selection, even worse than my old landrover, no joke. And the real kicker, it's not rated to tow anything so I can't use it with my bike rack or the trailer tent. Tbh I didn't even think to check for that as I've never had a production car not able to tow, quite annoying really. Overall my 2004 fiesta beats it hands down, it's not even close.

[Edited on 23/7/20 by Mr Whippy]

jps

posted on 23/7/20 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I've never had a production car not able to tow

Ford Ka (mk1) wasn't approved for towing either, I had one and was a bit surprised when I found out - and I was also thinking 'bike rack' rather than actual towing....

nick205

posted on 23/7/20 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Given the size of the Up I can see it not being rated for towing. I'd not fancy towing anything withone myself.

When you say bike rack, do you mean one that sits on a tow hitch?

We have a bike rack, but it straps to the tailgate, with the weight being taken by the upper straps. Secure enough once fitted, but limited to 3 bikes.

SteveWalker

posted on 23/7/20 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
quote:
I've never had a production car not able to tow

Ford Ka (mk1) wasn't approved for towing either, I had one and was a bit surprised when I found out - and I was also thinking 'bike rack' rather than actual towing....

Actually, early Ka Mk1s could tow. A work colleague at the time had one, fitted with a towbar. When he came to change it, he was planning to get another Ka, but had to abandon the idea, as the requirements for type approved towbars applies to cars registered after 1st August 1998. Type approval needs the car manufacturer to rate the vehicle for towing and build in mounting points for the bar. Cars before then could be fitted with bars designed by third parties and using whatever mounting points they deemed suitable - hence people usually choosing known, reputable manufacturers, such as Witter - who knew what they were doing.

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/7/20 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah my bike rack is tow hitch mounted and my trailer tent was
towed behind a classic mini before me so there's really no reason the up could not tow if vw could be bothered putting it through approval. But I guess that cuts into their profits.

SteveWalker

posted on 23/7/20 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
Luckily the type approval requirement only applies to type approved vehicles - I didn't half get some looks when my company car didn't have a towbar and I turned up at the local tip towing a trailer with my Robin Hood Series 3!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.