Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Semi rant - House insulation
tegwin

posted on 25/11/20 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Cavity wall with insulation.

The new regs imply that if you refurbish a wall inside or outside Eg re plaster... you are supposed to increase the thermal efficiency of that wall by quite some margin not simply replaster.

In this instance as someone has pointed out it’s not economically or logistically possible to do much as the rooms are so small to start with.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Sam_68

posted on 25/11/20 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
Cavity wall with insulation.

If you have cavity walls with insulation, are you sure you need to upgrade them, anyway? What exactly is the current wall build-up?

Notwithstanding the test of 'technical, economical and functional feasibility', the Regs only require you to upgrade the thermal element (in the case of a cavity wall) to U=0.55.

I had assumed from your original description of needing 50-100mm. of internal insulation that we were talking about a solid brick wall.

If you already have an insulated cavity wall, it seems very unlikely that you'd need to do anything, anyway.

Have you pissed off the BCO? He ought to know perfectly well both the test of reasonableness and the implications of the required U-value, so if I didn't know better, I'd suggest he's on a deliberate wind-up.

nick205

posted on 26/11/20 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
tegwin / OP

If you have to achieve this U value is there anything you could do on the exterior of the building?

I appreciate you'd need to be in keeping with adjacent properties, but it could be another way around the issue.

Alternatively are you allowed to request a different officer? Sometimes a different set of eyes and ears can help view things in a more realistic way.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.