Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: anyone built a wooden garage/shed?
john_p_b

posted on 27/6/05 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
anyone built a wooden garage/shed?

i'm trying to weigh up some options, i'm going to soon be in need of some storeage for either my MK or my cosworth as we're knocking the garage down to make way for a new much bigger one!

it's going to be literally just to store the car in and i think the cosworth is going to win it so it needs to be sierra sized!

i'm not talking buying a flat pack wood garage cos that costs loads and it only needs to last 2 maybe 3 winters then it's just going to be used as garden storage for mowers etc.

realisticly can i do it? getting hold of wood isn't too much of a issue as i work for a builders it's just a case of what am i going to need? does anyone have or know where i could find some kind of plans for how to build one?

failing this it's looking like being one of them tin things they sell in argos for about £700 and i'd like to not be spending that much if i can help it!

thanks in advance for any help.

john

Danozeman

posted on 27/6/05 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Mate. Im gonna build me one of them in the next few weeks.

Im going to use inch by inch or 2x1 to make up the frame then use tounque and groove to board it with. The best way is to work out the size u need then draw it out and work out what u need. The hardest bit is supporting the roof apex.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

slaggywelder

posted on 27/6/05 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I will be building one soon, same 2 x 1 or 1 x 1 frame, rather than tongue and groove (expensive) I have thought of 6mm marine ply board 8' x 6' (timber yard will cut it for free or cheap into 8' lengths x 6'' wide ) and overlap it similar to the american style houses, works out far cheaper and should look effective.

Roof joist should be okay, had a plan CD which gives basic structure for maximum support.

Mark

Why, I'd horse-whip you if I had a horse.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Neville Jones

posted on 27/6/05 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
I built a 10x20 shed using 1/2" shuttering ply for the roof and walls, and 3/4 for the floor. Put roofing shed felt on top. 4x2 floor joists under the 3/4ply and 3x2 wall studs and rafters and joists. Total cost was about £900. Still up after 2 years, and looking good in its green shed paint.

Nev

zilspeed

posted on 27/6/05 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Have to say, I would not go for 2"x1" - my first choice would be 3"x2" CLS.
Cover it with sterling board if you want much cheapness.

John F
Recovering Joiner of 24 yrs now

ray.h.

posted on 27/6/05 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Built my shed out of 3x2 cls (wickes about £1.60 each) shiplap from timber merchant about about £150 Floor is 18mm bitumen osb was about £10/sheet Roof is ordinary osb with cls supports.
Total cost about £350 for an 8x12 shed.
Two years old nowand still looks good.

Andrew+dad

posted on 27/6/05 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
ok i may not be a builder but a shed frame out of 2"x1" or 1" by 1" for a car sized shed doesnt sound nice infact it sounds EWWWWW

if i wer u i would use aleast 3x2 for the frame if its going to be a permenant fixture why not go for a galv sheet roof .... ittl work out cheaper

just my 2 pence

slaggywelder

posted on 27/6/05 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Same as building a car with limited tube gauge it's the way it's constructed and cross braced that adds the strength. Unless people want to hoist an engine on a roof cross member it's a waste of money.

Mark

Why, I'd horse-whip you if I had a horse.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kipper

posted on 27/6/05 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Sheds

For a decent shed you need 3 by 2 inch timber for the frame, side cover could be shiplap boards or 9 mm exterior ply .
But please don't use galve sheets on the roof because when you are working in there on long winter nights the condesation will soak you to the skin and rust you project build. Kipper.

MikeR

posted on 27/6/05 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
not forgetting the ringing in your ears you'll get when it rains!

Peteff

posted on 27/6/05 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
Wickes corrugated bitumenised roofing sheets are good.

[Edited on 27/6/05 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

niceperson709

posted on 28/6/05 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
Crikey you pommies seem to build flimsy sheds ! I know it is colder and wetter than here in Oz but 2 x 1 !!!!!!!! or 1 x1 got to be at least 2 x 3 for wall studs and some diagonal bracing . Do you have demolition yards over there ? I have often used second hand materials for shed building and you cant go past the Aussie standard for cladding and that is corrogated iron MATE . all jokes aside check out your small adds as you should find some one who wants one removed and you may be able to keep the moths in your wallet cossey and warm
Iain

Best wishes IAIN
life is not the rehearsal , it's the show so don't sit there thinking about it DO IT NOW
http://iainseven.wordpress.com/

DarrenW

posted on 28/6/05 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Wooden sheds = no planning permission (iirc). But compromise on security etc. Has anyone ever considered putting up a breeze block inner skin for extra strength.

What about starting with one of those hire containers and skinning the outside in timber to make it look nicer?

Roof - if temporary ish building just go for flat roof or single pitch. Treated sterling board, coat of creosote and felt or steel sheet over.

I knocked down my single garage and replaced it with 13' x 29' (max size i could go in single skin without having permission problems). I employed builder to lay bricks, bought bricks as seconds from the manufacturer and wole job was only £5K ish with electric roller door and top quality pitched roof. It could have been done cheaper if i got different concete and dug founds / bricklayed myself. If you do the sums it may be false economy to go temp at first and rebuild later.

DIYDAN

posted on 6/9/17 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
I purchased a large shed from http://www.shedworlds.com. It was reasonably easy to assemble and at a god price to be honest.

I am storing some electrical equipment and was worried about damp during the winter months. I insulated between the internal slats and lined the inside of the shed with PVC sheet. You can buy profiles to join the sheets and either glue or pin.

Just an idea.

www.plasticwallcladding.net

Dan

[Edited on 6/9/17 by DIYDAN]

coozer

posted on 6/9/17 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
I bought some 8 foot 3x3s from a decking place and got 6 bags of ready mix concrete from BnQ.

Dug 6 holes, 4 at the corners and two in the middle on the long side.. you can guess the rest..

Placed some more 3x3s across the top of the long sides..

Got some 4x1 from the decking place and made 6 trianguler frames to fit over the horizontal 3x3s..

Nailed them up there and filled in the gaps with bits of 4x1 and covered the roof with triple polycarbinate..

Covered the outside with 4" shiplap.. left the garden side open..

Gradually covered the earth floor with flags as I came across them on freeagle.

The wood was dirt cheap, the poly was the killer.. but 6 years on its still there doing its job although Ive since got rid on the pitch and its now flat at about 10degrees front to back..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

loggyboy

posted on 6/9/17 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
12 year old thread!! -And i suspect a spam advertising from Dan

[Edited on 6-9-17 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

posted on 6/9/17 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
A word of advice DIYDan

Check the date of the thread before you reply.

Welcome BTW

Paul G

bi22le

posted on 6/9/17 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
12 year old thread!! -And i suspect a spam advertising from Dan

[Edited on 6-9-17 by loggyboy]

Agreed, bit not the best way to drum up business. The OP could of grown the trees to build the garage in that time, making it free?!?!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

DIYDAN

posted on 7/9/17 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed, new to the site and didn't check the date. Thanks for the tip !!

posted on 7/9/17 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
We all make mistakes, as the hedgehog said to the yard broom.

coozer

posted on 7/9/17 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Doh, should have gone to spec savers....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.