Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: The SVA
BasOlij

posted on 31/12/02 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
The SVA

Hi everyone,

Since there doesn't seem to be a forum specific to this I am just posting it in this general forum.

I've been reading/looking around/etc. things about kitcars for some time now and only recently discovered Ron Champion's book to my amazement. It has caused me to seriously think about changing this from dreaming to reality for me in the not to distant future.

My goal however is to design something myself and that brings me to this question about the SVA.

Here in Holland we don't have this, so for me it will cost me to take my car to england, get it tested, import it into Holland and finally put it on my name. This does make access to information a bit uneasy and also I don't feel like doing a whole trip to england and find out to late I made some crusial mistakes.

So I was wondering, are there any good sites out there that give you good insight that makes sure you create a car that meets SVA standards. I know the SVA has a big rule book you can get but I'm not sure how to get it and if it would state things in terms I can understand.

Also is there something like a do's and don'ts list? Would it be an idea to create some sort of checklist? Do these things exist?

Basically any information about the SVA would be great, either I am not searching very well or it seems that info on this very important test is pretty undetailed on the net.

Many thanks:-)

Rorty

posted on 1/1/03 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
As no one has jumped in here yet (I suppose you're all tucked up in bed up there on the top of the world), I'll make a comment or two.
I don't understand why you are interested in putting your car through SVA Bas. Can you not just build it and register it in Holland, or are the authorities anti homebuilt or previously unregistered cars?
If you have it SVAd in England, would the Dutch authorities then accept it as a legitimate vehicle?
It just seems such an unecessarilly (to me) expensive way to achieve your goal.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob

posted on 1/1/03 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
SVA info

Bas
try this http://www.via.gov.uk/

chrisg

posted on 1/1/03 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Or the SVA "guide" on my website.

Please note, officer, that this is not the SVA guide or anything like it, no your Honour it's just a guide - alledgedly

Think I'm covered there?.

The Dutch, As I understand it, are VERY anti kitcar, many people get round the dutch regs by sending it over for test or buying a british reg'd car

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

BasOlij

posted on 3/1/03 at 05:47 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Rorty,

Yes the dutch goverment is really anti homebuild cars. There are some special rules that if you don't change the chassis of the car but only the body then it's allowed.

Also you can do EVERYTHING with your engine aslong as the number of pistons stay's the same and the car passes emmission tests for the year that it was build.

But if you want to build your own car, you need to build atleast 5, crashtest 3 of them, get them type approved, so you'll end up paying 10x as much as normal.

The only way is doing the SVA test and importing the car and even then it's risky because if the RDW desides the car is to new and it is worth alot of money you don't only pay import tax but also something that is called BPM.
So you could build a locost for 1000 euros, get it imported, pay 100 euro import tax, and because they think a super seven is worth 20.000 euro's, pay 2000 euro BPM. (that is very very worse case scenario though, never heard it go that bad)

Owh and yeah, if the car passes the SVA but not the RDW test, you're F**cked too.
Hopefully it won't be as bad as I could be, I have a tendency to overworry about these things:-)

Sucks huh.

Anyways, bob, chrisg, thanks! I'll read them thoroughly over the weekend.

(sorry for the late replys, forgot the email notification:-))

Greetz,

Bastiaan Olij
1984 Porsche 944 type 2
1981 Delorean DMC-12

BasOlij

posted on 3/1/03 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Another question I have on this btw. hope someone has the answer to this.

You get points awarded by the number of items you use from a single donor, this will determine if you can use the registration of that donor meaning the car legally will get the age of the donor car. (did I understand this correct).

Eventhough I will use most parts from single type of car (RX7-FC), suspension, engine, etc., only not the gearbox and probably not the speedo, it is unlikely I will get these parts from a single car. I can probably get the engine with papers for that car but other parts might come from other RX7's.

How does the points work for me now?

[Edited on 3/1/03 by BasOlij]

Greetz,

Bastiaan Olij
1984 Porsche 944 type 2
1981 Delorean DMC-12

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.