Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: footings
OX

posted on 13/3/06 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
footings

ok folks i need to find some under ground footings of a house that used to be in a field ,i know the easiest way would be to jcb the top soil off but is there any way of xraying the ground to find the footings
JoelP

posted on 13/3/06 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
ariel photos will show up shallow ruins, deeper you will need scans of some sort. Call in tony robinson!
ned

posted on 13/3/06 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
yup, was watching time team last night - the geophysics guys walk about proding the ground with some clever sticks that check the density of the ground and can pick up denser material ie stone and/or different material due to infill which would tell you. No idea where to comemercially get this kind of survey/service or how much it costs?! As for aerial views - tried google earth and zoomed in?!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
muzchap

posted on 13/3/06 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
"you need some of these"

Description
Description

[Edited on 13/3/06 by muzchap]

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!
------------------------------------

JoelP

posted on 13/3/06 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
i was reading in new scientist about a device that could tell from a plane what the density of the ground below was, by measuring gravity - can you imagine how hard that is?! used to find diamonds.
ned

posted on 13/3/06 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
so it can find dime bars from 3 miles up then?

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
silex

posted on 13/3/06 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Ground Penetrating Radar - outlined by Ned as used by time team

Murphy's 2 laws

1. If it can go wrong it will
2. In case of emergency - refer to rule 1.

Peteff

posted on 13/3/06 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
The yellow things the water board and power services use might pick something up. I've seen them waving them about for different purposes.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

iank

posted on 13/3/06 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Depending on the soil type and moisture you can get a long way with a thin steel rod shoved into the ground - need to know roughly where the house was obviously.

Timeteam use two types IIRC, the radar thing, and a simpler resistance measurement.

David Jenkins

posted on 13/3/06 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think that footings gurgle much, nor do they give off much electromagnetic radiation.

I suggest a trench across where you suspect the footings may be, and carry on from there - still a Time Team approach, but a bit more practical!

David

Russ-Turner

posted on 13/3/06 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
The yellow things the water board and power services use might pick something up. I've seen them waving them about for different purposes.

Most likely pipe and leccy detector.

theconrodkid

posted on 13/3/06 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
CAT scans prob wont pick it up,i have seen people using bent peices of stainless steel rod like water deviners.....before you all laugh,i tried it and it worked for water

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

rusty nuts

posted on 13/3/06 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got a mate with a plane? will show up for sure from the air. Or start a rumour about buried treasure in the field and let some mug dig for you
OX

posted on 13/3/06 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
cheers for the help.i'd best get digging
Peteff

posted on 14/3/06 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
Most likely pipe and leccy detector.

I was thinking it probably had services to it, an ordinary metal detector might show something up if there was lead pipework.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

OX

posted on 14/3/06 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
just had a price for a ground radar team to come and have a look.£1500 a day ,so i rang a m8 and he said i can borrow his mini digger,i dont think i'll be at the controls tho,,,its not fast anough
Guinness

posted on 14/3/06 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with Iank on this one. Set out a grid with string or spray paint over the site.

Get a bit of mild steel bar, about 1200mm long and 15mm dia, bend a handle into the end and poke it into the ground. Assuming the soil isn't frozen you should be able to push it well down into the soil. When you find a point where you can't get it in too far have a bit of a dig. It'll either be a rock or a bit of the founds.

HTH

Mike

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.