Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Why the negative press about Robin Hoods?
southpaw

posted on 17/3/06 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
Why the negative press about Robin Hoods?

I'm just wondering why so many people say to stay away from Robin Hoods? Is there something fundamentally flawed with the design?

I'm confused...

graememk

posted on 17/3/06 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
for the reason people say skodas are crap even though i doubt they have ever owned one.

you get what you pat for.

each car has its pros and cons

i would be the 1st to say that maybe they arnt as good, but there doing something right as i think they sell more kits than anyone else.

i do how ever fancy doing a bec lightweight

[Edited on 17/3/06 by graememk]

britishtrident

posted on 18/3/06 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by graememk
for the reason people say skodas are crap even though i doubt they have ever owned one.

you get what you pat for.

each car has its pros and cons

i would be the 1st to say that maybe they arnt as good, but there doing something right as i think they sell more kits than anyone else.

i do how ever fancy doing a bec lightweight

[Edited on 17/3/06 by graememk]

Not really a valid argument --- Skoda was a good if very old design built out of poor quality materials by an opressed work force.

Historically RH cars have had built had very fundemental design errors particularly in the area of the front suspension, built out of decent quality materials which are then ruinined by dimensional and workmanship errors. Where they have succeeded it is due to ruthlessly driving down costs so they can feed off the very bottom end of the market.

On the brightside things look like they are changing at RH.

graememk

posted on 18/3/06 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
your right i would agree with that.

smart51

posted on 18/3/06 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
but does it weight less than an indy chassis plus bodywork, which is what you get with a monocoque. I've looked at the lightweight and quite like it, thought some people have expressed concern.
diyer

posted on 18/3/06 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Have you weighed a lightweight chassis???

Hug a Hoodie!

graememk

posted on 18/3/06 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
i used to own a very strange robin hood (rhm1000) a rwd 7 based on a metro engine fixed in the back.

if you fancy a look "keets" now ownes it

[Edited on 18/3/06 by graememk]

diyer

posted on 18/3/06 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
I think it is encouraging that a company has explored other construction avenues. The design of the lightweight tub is in fact very good.. Although i am finding it causes constraints trying to route brake, fuel , electrics around the car..Saying that, hould get an engine start this weekend.
Simon

Hug a Hoodie!

graememk

posted on 18/3/06 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
just had a look at your pics diyer

thats looking really good, have you counted how many rivits you have used?

i dont know why but i still want one, i think its because i used to own a RH and i know it was crap i think i just want a good one lol, i have a spare fzr1000 to start me off

diyer

posted on 18/3/06 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Graeme,

I think the answer to your question is - LOADS! he he

lets see if i can create some noise!!!

Hug a Hoodie!

Wadders

posted on 18/3/06 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
you could argue a lot of things are crap, when compared to something better, don't stop loads of people getting enjoyment from them though.
Have to admire RH owners, cos in the words of Frank from shameless, they know how to throw a 'Paaaarty'. check em out at any major kit car event, put most owners clubs to shame. So just maybe theres something about RH ownership we're all missing?

Jon Ison

posted on 18/3/06 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
yup, like the paddling pool, (read swimming pool sized) pool full of beer at le-mans every year..........

dave r

posted on 18/3/06 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
you know you dont acually need to own a hood to join the club ??

and yes being able to drink plenty of beer does help

scotty g

posted on 18/3/06 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
The rhocar boys are some of the most helpful club members you could ever hope to meet, they are extremely helpful and friendly and there is practically zero bitching and whinging.
Having owned a RH 2b i have to say that the quality is not up to most of the Locost manufacturers standards but most of the builders are great engineers, this is the only reason we see so many completed Hoods on the road and at every single show.
I feel that the actual builders are the best thing about RH but as stated earlier, things are changing there.
Cheers.

Dusty

posted on 18/3/06 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

very fundemental design errors particularly in the area of the front suspension

How many threads do we have starting I can't seem to get any self centering on my locost. Pot, kettle?
I still love my old Robin Hood. I wonder what percentage of kit car owners/ builders started off with a Robin Hood?

Volvorsport

posted on 18/3/06 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
the pace is quickening within Robin Hood , Rome wasnt built in a day , were all acutely aware of the legacy the previous owner has left us . I could spend years getting the factory how i want it .

The lads in the workshop were never given that opportunity to right the wrongs because of the leader !!.

The kits are what they are , and theyre going to improve from now on .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Peteff

posted on 18/3/06 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
I've had parts and materials from them as they are handy for me to fetch stuff and I've always found them to be helpful and it's always usable. I do tend to modify things to fit my purpose so if there's a bit of flash left on something it will get shortened or shaped to suit and doesn't really affect what I'm doing. They are handy and reasonably priced so I use them.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Jon Ison

posted on 18/3/06 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Like Pete I've used them for various parts, I've also bought polished stainless sheets from them cheaper than I can buy it through work, (they must buy miles of the stuff), I too have always found them helpful and they have always had the time too chat, the fact they are about 5 miles away comes in handy too, not been down since it changed hands mind.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.