Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lightning Struck Power Cables
andyharding

posted on 2/7/06 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Lightning Struck Power Cables

We ended up with a massive thunderstorm dead over head this afternoon.

We were all insude saying this was the closest we had ever been to the middle of a storm and the lightning stuck the power lines that are in the field less than 200 yards from our house. The tops of the poles exploded with a mass of white sparks and the fallen lines set fire to about 50 yards of hedge.

I have to hand it to the fire brigade who were here within 10 minutes and stayed for around 20 minutes until Central Networks arrived. Our power was restored in less than 3 hours which given the lines took a direct lightning strike I think is impressive.

I unplugged our computers earlier in the day so it looks like the worst damage we have suffered is a fried Sky Plus box.

Lightning2
Lightning2

Lightning3
Lightning3

Lightning1
Lightning1

The show got better than these photos but another strike very near by made all the hair on my body stand on end amd the leaves on the tree I was under rustle which frankly scared me enough to go back inside

[Edited on 2/7/06 by andyharding]

[Edited on 2/7/06 by andyharding]

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

stevec

posted on 2/7/06 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
amazing
Lightning

posted on 2/7/06 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
Al this is good for business

Steve

owelly

posted on 2/7/06 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
It makes you feel a bit humble when you see what mother nature has tucked in her apron. I recall watching a Discovery have its paint taken off right down the the bare ally when it got stuck on the beach with an incoming tide. Then it got washed 2miles along the beach before been stuffed under a bridge. All because the owners didn't want to pay £12 to launch a boat from the slipway!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan_Thomas

posted on 3/7/06 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
Come on, own up! - its that new high powered MIG set you bought, didnt they warn you about the current draw

-Alan

Hellfire

posted on 3/7/06 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
All the money we spend on Arming our country, we should get Mother Nature on our side and seriously kick ass! But then again... maybe we have already P1SSED on our chips as far as she is concerned...

I love speed :-P

posted on 3/7/06 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Wow Glad you are ok Andy, we had the thunderstorms to and we had one very close to our house 2

Phil

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.