Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Workshop Heating
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 27/11/06 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Workshop Heating

I was considering getting an electric oil filled rad for the workshop but I thought i would ask you guys if thats the best way of doing it? Any ideas? What have others done?

Many Thanks

Liam Mc

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

graememk

posted on 27/11/06 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
i used one of the electric patio heaters, got it from B&Q for 20notes
BenB

posted on 27/11/06 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
I'd definately go for oil filled or infrared rather than a convector (fan) heater which tend to be fairly ineffective in my experience.

I blagged a dirty but working oil filled unit (on wheels) from a mate (similar to this unit). It does have a small convector heater built into it as well but I never use it- for one thing it gets filled with dust / glass fibre dust / iron fillings etc and whenever I accidentally switch it on instead of the oil filled bits it seriously smokes and pongs!! The fact it's on wheels means I can also wheel it around to the particular bit of the car I'm working on. Quite expensive new!! I'd probably go for a cheap oil filled radiator...

nick205

posted on 27/11/06 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Usually put on extra clothes, but my garage is integral to the house, so doesn't get all that cold.

How long does an oil filled rad take to warm up? may find that by the time it's warmed the place up your ready to pack up for the night.

Hellfire

posted on 27/11/06 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Work harder and your body will produce more heat, thereby keeping you warm without the need for a heater.

Phil

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 27/11/06 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
i have the delonghi one that was posted in my office at work, certainly is very good was wondering if there was anyhting better available?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

russbost

posted on 27/11/06 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Gas blow heaters are far more effective & cost about 1/5 as much to run - well worth the investment

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
SeaBass

posted on 27/11/06 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Gas blow heaters are far more effective & cost about 1/5 as much to run - well worth the investment

Dont' they put out water vapour though?? Not so good for working on a bare steel chassis!

Cheers

mookaloid

posted on 27/11/06 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
I used an oil filled radiator for heating the garage one winter - couldn't believe the size of the electricity bill in the spring

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

BenB

posted on 27/11/06 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Infra red is pretty quick- and directional too. After all, why heat up the air when you can just cook yourself from the other side of the room. I've got an IR heater @ work and its the quickest thing for getting toasty....

I must admit though I haven't used my heater much. I just put on the Dickies padded and hat and get busy in the garage.

I've learnt from experience that sitting in the car to "have a think" is a bad idea when it's cold (particularly when my garage was lit by rather dim 12v fluro's off a car battery)- on a couple of occasions I've woken up in the early hours having fallen asleep mid ponder!!!

fesycresy

posted on 27/11/06 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Air condition the garage.

Have the best of both worlds

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Andy W

posted on 27/11/06 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Pot Bellied stove, one of the best things I've bought. Collect wood during the summer, so free to run during the winter

garage Stove
garage Stove

Andy

Confused but excited.

posted on 27/11/06 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Unless you have a source of free fuel like Andy, the best and most economical type of heating is infra red radiant. It heats you not the whole garage.
The added advantage is that unlike gas/ parrafin etc it doesn't produce moisture, as has been said before.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

jacko

posted on 27/11/06 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy W
Pot Bellied stove, one of the best things I've bought. Collect wood during the summer, so free to run during the winter

garage Stove
garage Stove

Andy

I have to go with Andy on this one i would like one for my garage

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 27/11/06 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Had one at a place I worked in years ago . We would light it if needed first thing in the morning and when it was going nicely we had a 5gallon drum with a tap that was filled with waste engine oil . This was connected so that oil dripped into the stove, flow rate was controlled by a pipe clamp on a piece of flexi hose . Very cheap to run but not sure tha H&S would approve
hillbillyracer

posted on 27/11/06 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
I've built a "twin barrel" wood burner If your workshop is large (mine is 36' x 20' ) & you have free/cheap wood it is the thing to have. There's a lot of forest up here & the waste left after harvesting would keep everyone on here warm.
It uses 2 205l drums on their side, one above the other. The bottom one is the burner & the top one acts as a heat exchanger. If it intrests you I'll get you some pics.

jacko

posted on 27/11/06 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Yes please i would like to see your heater Jacko
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 27/11/06 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
i only get cold in my feet, rest of me is just fine in the garage. I need extra socks!
hillbillyracer

posted on 27/11/06 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Ok will sort it, will be tomorrow before I get em done I think. (best have a tidy up first!)
wilkingj

posted on 27/11/06 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Waste oil heaters:

Linky1

Just do a google search, there are plenty of designs... some better than others.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

Andy W

posted on 28/11/06 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
I did see one that someone had made, by burning the middle out of four steel wheels and welding them together, plating the ends. Seemed to work ok. Could be another use for your donor vehicle.

Andy

foskid

posted on 30/11/06 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
I bypassed the door switch on the tumble dryer and used that. Works quite well and no "suprise" bills in the spring.
But then I have sealed the gaps round the up'n'over and replaced the old windows with double glazed units when they started to fall apart a few years ago.

hillbillyracer

posted on 1/12/06 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry its taken me a while, I've had to learn how to post them first!
workshop heater 1
workshop heater 1

You used to be able to buy a kit to make these out of 2 205l drums but there's no reason you would have to use barrels to make one, the bottom one for the burner has 3"of sand in the bottom & is an old water tank (thicker steel than a 205l drum so it will last longer) you could use a different shape if you want.
The top drum is just a heat exchanger. This end of the bottom drum hinges down as a door & has 2 vents in to control the airflow (I've got 2 thottle bodies from an old car to fit but have never got round to it) The chimney is a steel telegraph pole.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.