Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: who will build the first 6x6 locost?
02GF74

posted on 1/12/06 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
who will build the first 6x6 locost?

inspiriation here
benji106

posted on 1/12/06 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
what are the benefits of having 6 wheels over 4??

-Everything in excess-

alanr

posted on 1/12/06 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
two more tyres to buy !!!!!!!!!!!
balidey

posted on 1/12/06 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
I quite like this....

http://www.thejoyofcx.co.uk/main.php

02GF74

posted on 1/12/06 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm, same grip but less air resistance due to smaller frontal area?? as seen on tyrell p43. Wasn't it banned? Anywoine know reason why?

quote:
This famous car was the handiwork of Tyrrell's chief designer Derek Gardner. It's most striking feature of course was the use of four 10 in. wheels instead of the regular two. The front-end layout was intended to "... minimize induced drag by reducing lift at the front and to turn that gain into the ability to enter and leave corners faster". The use of four small disc brakes required a special triple master-cylinder system, each feeding the brakes on one of the three axles. This was necessary as adjustments were required to control locking at the four front wheels. If the two front wheels locked first, then the effective wheelbase of the car was shortened and if the second set of front wheels locked first this resulted in the effective wheelbase being lengthened. The size of the front tires put special stress on the cross-ply tires Goodyear supplied. Had radial-ply Michelin tires been available to the team the story might have been different. Unfortunatly Goodyear's tire development program did not have the capacity to properly support the special 10 in. tires used by the P34.

The high point for what was known as Project 34 came at the Swedish Grand Prix in 1976 where Jody Scheckter came in first followed by his teammate Depailler in second. After two seasons and the departure of Derek Gardner the experiment was abandoned.

[Edited on 1/12/06 by 02GF74]

balidey

posted on 1/12/06 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Don't think the Tyrell was ever banned, but there was too much weight and complexity, so the negatives outweighed the positives. Still look good though.
Hellfire

posted on 1/12/06 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Then there is always the other... the illusive 6 wheeler ferrari!

Also the 6 Wheeler Williams -
Image deleted by owner

[Edited on 1-12-06 by Hellfire]

iank

posted on 1/12/06 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Looks weird from the drivers seat - youtube had everything apparently
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GewFbY0zz8

ned

posted on 1/12/06 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Saw that at Frank's museum at the williams f1 conference centre, from the video they played I seem to recall it was banned or the regs changed within a year of it being properly developed.

that's some transaxle!

[Edited on 1/12/06 by ned] Rescued attachment IMG_1522b.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_1522b.jpg

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 1/12/06 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Already done it!!!

Got no pics though but me and a mate built a 6wd 6wheel steer turbodiesel offroader for use on peat bog in northumberland.

It used a longitudinal FWD VW Passat Turbodiesel turned 90degrees, with the driveshafts connected to lada Niva transfer boxes, plus a homemade drop box using morse chain at the rear. The chassis was ladder frame/spaceframe mixture and used 3 sets of lada Niva double wishbone front IRS and alloy diffs from the same.

Top speed 30 mph, but could drive at silly slow speeds for getting up mad hills, you needed to be strapped in tight it would go up stuff you could never walk up!!!!

Used power assist front steering with selectable hydrostatic slaved steering on the two rear wheel pairs. You locked it out for the road and then could have all 4 rears turn the same as the fronts for keeping it straight on big sideslopes, or opposite to the front for tight turns, or just steer the front and very rear, or anything else you fancied, selected on 2 mech lockouts and 2 valves.

The engine was transverse behind the seats and took up very little space as it was originally longitudinal fwd so quite long and thin.

It had selectable diff locks on every axle and between every axle too, so it was unstoppable in mud.

It could literally drive over peat bog that you could not stand on, I am only just under 11 stone and I sank over the top of my boots, but the machine barely left a mark.

It was 200kg lighter than a landrover 90, and could go at 25mph over ditches that stopped the landy dead!!!

All built from scrap over 1 winter!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Guinness

posted on 1/12/06 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't it weird the split between those who can add an extra axle at the back and those who can do it at the front.

I can only think of three that did it the hard way (front), the Panther thing, the Tyrell and FAB1 (although I'm not sure the last one counts).

Mike

MikeR

posted on 1/12/06 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
Already done it!!!

Why am i not surprised!!!!!!!!

Are you sure you've not on your second life or something, you've done more than most people 3 times your age.

NS Dev

posted on 1/12/06 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
It probably seems that way sometimes, but then I speak to some people way younger than me who have done waaayyyyy more!!!

A fella rang me up from the grasstrack forum the other day to chat about the class 7, his gf is a demontfort uni and he's coming down next year.

He's a fair bit younger and has built a load of class sevens and other grassers and now does it on a semi pro basis!!!

My problem (as for many I suppose! ) is not enough time in the bloody day to get stuff done.

Bath's running right now then I'm off out, but hopefully a car-ing weekend this weekend, but bloody sierra rear lights have packed in so got to sort that first dammit!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

theconrodkid

posted on 1/12/06 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
6 wheel drive...pah,my new toy has 8 wheel drive and a 16 litre V12 so there!

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Jon Ison

posted on 1/12/06 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
was once the proud owner of this squad........

oto6

posted on 3/12/06 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Good choice !

oto6

http://www.oto6.free.fr

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.