Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any1 know how to paint Camouflage?
oliwb

posted on 3/12/06 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Any1 know how to paint Camouflage?

Bought myself an airfix model kit on a whim yesterday whilst christmas shopping....its a 1:72 scale C-130 Hercules. Finished building it last night but now I've got to paint it and I don't want to make a hash of it! Done a solid base coat of Nato dark green and started picking out the detail around the windows, tyres and props but I'm not sure what/how to do next! I've got nato dark green, matt black, nato brown and matt silver.....Any tips greatly received as I aint got a clue! Cheers Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 3/12/06 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
have you tried google images to get pics of real ones, that you can copy?
Peteff

posted on 3/12/06 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Google c130

Here's the first site to come up and it has a gallery of photos.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

oliwb

posted on 3/12/06 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah found loads of sites with photos but I don't really know how to do it! Was hoping someone who's into war hammer or something might be able to give me a blow by blow idiots guide to painting camo.....Oli.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
meany

posted on 3/12/06 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
done a fair bit of this in my time.

what exactly are you asking?
do you need the chamoflage scheme?
or the method to do it?

the trick is making it look weathered.

this my old site.
http://www.spitfire55.freeserve.co.uk/

pajsh

posted on 3/12/06 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
I guess the problem is not knowing what to paint but how. I think camo is the hardest thing to paint and I've always chosen models that don't have it.

To get it right I you need a really fine air brush as painting lines with a brush never looks right. Especially at 1:72 scale it's so small.

I tried some time ago with a standard airbrush using a piece of card held just off the model cut to a wavy line and then overspayed. You have to leave off all important bits like canopys & wheels etc.

I also tried "drybrushing" the edges to remove the sharp lines but had limited success.

If I can I find a version that has a solid colour and then use other methods to make it look realistic. Otherwise I stear clear of camo.

Flak 36 Dio
Flak 36 Dio

Best of luck but a real tough one to get right.

I used to be apathetic but now I just don't care.

meany

posted on 3/12/06 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
ill go and take some pics of my static stuff,
never used an airbrush myself on the "little" stuff.

oliwb

posted on 3/12/06 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Umm both I think....I've got some photos that I was gonna copy eg. http://www.lyneham.raf.mod.uk/images/gallery/full%20size/c130k_gnd/c130k_gnd_01.jpg I just don't know where to start other than putting my green base coat on....So what should I do next, and how?? Cheers Oli. Rescued attachment DSCF0635.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0635.JPG

pajsh

posted on 3/12/06 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Like this one.

oliwb

posted on 3/12/06 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
As you can see its nothing like as good as your guys stuff! I only got it as I felt like a bit of a blast from the past and returning to my childhood....problem was I could never do the paint very well! Would like to do a good job as its cost £30 thus far! Oli.

pajsh

posted on 3/12/06 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
My advice would be either

1) keep it a solid colour and weather it with smoke and other hightlights by drybrushing sliver on wing roots etc. or

2) get some tamiya model masking tape (ordinary stuff is no good), cut patterns and wavy lines with a scalpel and accept the lines will not look 100%.

When I first decided I wanted to build a kit car I thought about a Cobra but was (rightly) pursueded it was beyond my abilities. I now have a locost virtually complete but it's crap compared to most I see on here and at shows.

But I've learnt a hell of alot and my next one will be 1000% better. And I've really enjoyed doing it.

As I said Camo is really tricky so I stear clear.

Corolla 1
Corolla 1

pajsh

posted on 3/12/06 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Keep at it though as it's one of my passions and keeps me sane when I can't work on the car.

Currently I'm building a FU4D Corsair and it's all blue!!

Other Models
Other Models

[Edited on 3/12/06 by pajsh]

meany

posted on 3/12/06 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
get yourself a pencil, and finely draw on the camoflage pattern using whatever pictures info you have, then paint it in using a flat brush, dont put too much on, its easier to add later on than try and take it off when you put too much on.

as i said earlier, you will want to make it look wethered, ie used, you can do this using the "drybrush" techique.

meany

posted on 3/12/06 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
just put a few pics up.

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a33/meanandgreen/odds/?sc=3

JoelP

posted on 3/12/06 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
pajsh, is that a leman russ battle tank i see at the bottom right of your picture?!

[Edited on 3/12/06 by JoelP]

pajsh

posted on 3/12/06 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
pajsh, is that a leman russ battle tank i see at the bottom right of your picture?!

[Edited on 3/12/06 by JoelP]

Yep.

I inherited loads of warhammer stuff from a nephew and the full kit was in with it.

There were loads of die cast figures un-painted and probably cost several hundred pounds as WH stuff is not cheap.

Never really got into warhammer but made the model anyway. All the rest is in the loft waiting for a car boot next year or the antiques road show around 2056 if I make it that far.

snapper

posted on 3/12/06 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
All the Hercs i have flown in, filmed and photographed have been grey, however have a look here....Defence Images

I have a few photo's on here if you new my name....
[Edited on 3/12/06 by snapper]

[Edited on 3/12/06 by snapper]

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

tractorboy

posted on 4/12/06 at 01:49 AM Reply With Quote
if it is any help mate try the web site of the company i work for . we service the RAF c130's and i am sure there are a few pics . www.marshallaerospace.com . go to links at the bottom of the page then photo gallery . hope this helps .cheers scott . ps they are dirty and horrible airborne trucks but fixing them has kept me off the streets for eleven years !

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.