Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Build injuries!
donut

posted on 28/1/07 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Build injuries!

Ok so what's the worst injury sustained during the build of your car? I have had 3,

1st was drilling through my hand when the drill slipper while removing some spot welds.

2nd was forgetting to take my finger out from between the handle arms on a pop riviter, I squeezed really hard and POP went the riviter, then i noticed my finger was still between the handle arms........1, 2 3...AAAHHHHHHHH!!! That really hurt!!

3rd was the attack of the killer angle grinder!! see pic.

Image deleted by owner

Another 2 and i become an ace!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 28/1/07 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
I did all mine before I started building my car, like getting spatter in my ear welding under cars and drilling through digits (doesn't that really hurt) there are lots of nerves in fingers. Pop riveter's favourite trick is trapping my belly when I have a really tough one to break and I leant on the handle to get more pressure. Try explaining a bruise just above your trouser line to the wife at bedtime.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

nib1980

posted on 28/1/07 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
I managed to take a chunk out my head when walking into the garge door

still have a bald patch now

[img][/img]

donut

posted on 28/1/07 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
eeeeeww nasty!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
john_p_b

posted on 28/1/07 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
no major ones whilst building mine, the odd pulled back from trying to shift the chassis and engine around.

managed to rip the end of my thumb off helping my boss out with his RH that he has sinse given up on and sold.

stripping down suspension strut, lovely shiny new spring compressor decided it was gonna take a twist as said boss decided he was gonna to have a tug at it so spring came flying out taking half my thumb with it. 3 days in hospital, operation to reattach said thumb, 3 months off work then 2 years later a reasonable cheque came through the door for my troubles from the insurers.

i'd happily give em the cheque back if i could rewind a couple of years and not do it in the 1st place, winter is a pain in the thumb!

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

craig1410

posted on 28/1/07 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
I managed to get my finger wrapped up in a braided engine earth cable while trying to enlarge the eye for a bigger bolt. It just needed 0.5mm and rather than putting it in the vice I decided to hold it... The drill snagged in the hole and my finger somehow got wrapped up in the braid and was pulled around the drill bit. At such a small diameter the torque of the drill is magnified greatly (a bit like low gear)

It broke the end of my finger and ripped the finger nail out from under the cuticle on one side. I had to go to A&E where they removed the nail and put two stitches in the nail bed itself before gluing the nail back on. Here is the result: Rescued attachment SoreFinger.jpg
Rescued attachment SoreFinger.jpg

ayoungman

posted on 28/1/07 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
I set fire to my overalls whilst having a good session on the old angle grinder. I didn't notice th small fire working its way slowly up my waist until I stopped. It ruined my favourite,
1)overalls
2)Jumper
3)Fleece
4)Jeans
My wife was watching from an upstairs window and was chuckling away at the time...she thought it was quite funny apparently

"just like that !"

Marcus

posted on 28/1/07 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Injury
Injury

A lesson in what not to do with an angle grinder!!
There are 6 stitches 1/2" below the surface too!

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

bob

posted on 28/1/07 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
If you want a little competition see the worst i would think Marcus wins without a doubt

I'm sure marcus will be along soon to post up a pic, it still makes me wince a bit thinking about it.

I've had two that put me out of action a bit, the 1st was lifting the pinto out of the back of transit manually.(i'll get a hoist next time)

And the other was using "the tool" i should have worn more than a T shirt and also used a better mask.

Thanks marcus,that prooves just how long it takes dyslexic peolpe to type

[Edited on 28/1/07 by bob]

donut

posted on 28/1/07 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Can anyone beat Marcus?

Andy

gazza285

posted on 28/1/07 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

jambojeef

posted on 28/1/07 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Im fighting the urge not to be sick / post loads of pictures of random injuries....

Ah what the hell...

I have to say that this injury to a mate of mine pales into insignificance compared to Marcus' partial leg amputation - theres something kinda nasty about hand injuries though no? Rescued attachment DSCN0061 copy.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCN0061 copy.JPG

donut

posted on 28/1/07 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Somehow i wish i hadn't posted this thread....i feel a bit Moby Dick now

Andy

Wadders

posted on 28/1/07 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
The missus found me laid in the dogs bed after i did this, moaning quietly f#ck, f#ck f#ck
Crushed it whilst manhandling a 1/2 ton flypress round the garage She phoned the sis in law who's a nurse, came round took a quick peek and said ' ooh thats quite nasty it looks like baked beans, you better get it seen to' Sooo professional!
No gore on this one, took it 5 mins ago, spot the difference.

Al.

Description
Description

Originally posted by donut
Somehow i wish i hadn't posted this thread....i feel a bit Moby Dick now

[Edited on 28/1/07 by Wadders]

marcyboy

posted on 28/1/07 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
Injury
Injury

A lesson in what not to do with an angle grinder!!
There are 6 stitches 1/2" below the surface too!

I LIKE YOUR STITCHES...(JOHN RAMBO STYLE)
THEY LOOK LIKE YOU'VE DONE 'EM YOURSELF... LO-COST STYLE

t.j.

posted on 28/1/07 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, had to show..

[Edited on 28/1/07 by t.j.]

antonyg

posted on 28/1/07 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
was just about to say dont you think it looks like a very hairy face
Pezza

posted on 28/1/07 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Managed to shatter an alloy MC while trying to remove a circlip, typical the one time I had taken off my goggles.

Result 2 nasty corneal abrasions so I couldn't see properly for 2 or 3 days lol

Felt damn lucky afterwards though, never felt anything hit my eyeball that hard before, like being punched right in there tbh.

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

flak monkey

posted on 28/1/07 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Bloody hell you lot are accident prone!

Managed to slice my hands on occasion, but nothing unusual or bad.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

welderman

posted on 29/1/07 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Got my hand caught removing burrs of a metal bush for the gear change mech on the indy.
Ive got a reptation for being accident prone, got many pictures to prove it too . Sick i know. I too have a 4" gash in my leg from a 9" cutting disc. Rescued attachment Image014.jpg
Rescued attachment Image014.jpg

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

DorsetStrider

posted on 30/1/07 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
No pictures...

But my best locost related one was when doing a bit of welding on the 1st chassis....

Some numpty while not really paying attention (was also listening to the football on the radio) decided to weld his hand!

Other good ones include removing two fingers with a desk/disk saw, or trapping leg in the rear akle of a bike travelling at 50mph..... the spoke quiet literally carved layers off of my lower leg, knee and ankle. There was a trail of leg slices for about 15 yards up the road.

Who the f**K tightened this up!

David Jenkins

posted on 30/1/07 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
On a very minor level, I'm forever getting tiny metal splinters in my fingers; too small to see, let alone grab with tweezers. That's what happens when you use a keyboard all day, instead of doing a proper day's work!

I need hands like Paul G's (aka 907) - skin like shoe leather!

cheers,
David

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.