Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CALLING ALL ENGINEERS
carnut

posted on 27/2/07 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
CALLING ALL ENGINEERS

Astronautics engineer Jon Jennings has this week set up an online petition with the Prime Minister's office to call for the title of "engineer" to be recognised and protected as a professional one, in a similar way to other professional titles.

Jennings has joined an escalating list of people using 10 Downing Street's online petition trial to drum up support for campaigns they believe in.

"Car mechanics, plumbers and electricians are now commonly referred to as engineers, and banks now regard engineers as semi skilled," says his petition.

With very few signatories to date, the petition already tops the "business and industry" category. But it still lags well behind the road pricing petition which received 1.7M signatories before it closed on Tuesday and even falls short of the 3,707 who want the prime minister to stand on his head and juggle ice-cream.

So if you agree that the status of the engineer is undervalued in society sign the petition:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Engineer-Status/

Oh and of course pass it on to all your engineering friends.

nib1980

posted on 27/2/07 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
so what about frank dibbner, he was a real engineer but with no qualifications, can he not use the title?
carnut

posted on 27/2/07 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
You mean fred dibnah? I was under the impression he was a steeplejack
owelly

posted on 27/2/07 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
An engineer will have the paperwork to prove it! At my place of employment, we have 'engineers' that are only called such because they are employed as 'engineers'. Most are skilled workers with a trade but some were just at the right place at the right time.
Would a Nurse claim to be a Dr??
Not sure what the point of my posting was but never mind!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 27/2/07 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Fred Dibnah was a true craftsman and artist. Not an engineer or a boilersmith or a miner etc......
He was also a funny little man.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nib1980

posted on 27/2/07 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
I'm an engineer so spelling's not my strong point but the point stands, he knew more about true engineering, than a lot of uni grads do nowadays.

I agree in principle that the title engineer is miss used by some people, but there needs to be a better definition process.

As I was always taught, it's ok to find a problem, but it's no good complaining without a robust solution (or solutions) in your answer.

just my two penneth

quote:
Originally posted by carnut
You mean fred dibnah? I was under the impression he was a steeplejack

owelly

posted on 27/2/07 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
When reading through CVs for en engineer, most potential employers only read the last job the candidate had. If that job was as an 'engineer' and the refs were good, why not employ them? It doesn't make them an engineer though!!
You need to be able to read imperial verniers to be a 'proper' engineer!

nib1980

posted on 27/2/07 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
A very valid point. the last grad we had I sat and watched trying to take a brake calliper off, after 10 mins of watching him tighten the bolts, I explained the anti clockwise would loosen them

quote:
Originally posted by owelly

snapper

posted on 27/2/07 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
hes got two honoury doctorates does that count?

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

nib1980

posted on 27/2/07 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
So has Clarkson.

quote:
Originally posted by snapper

whitestu

posted on 27/2/07 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Define an engineer.

Stu

coozer

posted on 27/2/07 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Hmm, does that mean Europe engineers are not 'proper'??

I've not seen a drawing in our engineering department that uses anything but the Romans measurements!

Its generally old guys who can't move on as is required to survive these days...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

UncleFista

posted on 27/2/07 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Fred Dibnah, in his own words was a "back street mechanic".
He knew what an engineer is and would've never had the temerity to call himself one

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

cossiebri

posted on 27/2/07 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nib1980
So has Clarkson.

quote:
Originally posted by snapper

clarkson is not an engineer, he is GOD!

If it doesn't fit MODIFY it!!
Cheers BriF

andrews_45

posted on 27/2/07 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
quote:

Hmm, does that mean Europe engineers are not 'proper'??

I've not seen a drawing in our engineering department that uses anything but the Romans measurements!

Its generally old guys who can't move on as is required to survive these days...

Measurements on Rolls Royce jet engines are all in imperial. You dont get too much further advanced technologically than that!

[Edited on 27/2/07 by andrews_45]

carnut

posted on 27/2/07 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
This post was not made to start an argument and i did not write it. (i pasted it from an email). The idea of this post was to give Engineers the same status as their equals in other proffessions such as accountants.

Carnut

JoelP

posted on 27/2/07 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carnut
This post was not made to start an argument and i did not write it. (i pasted it from an email). The idea of this post was to give Engineers the same status as their equals in other proffessions such as accountants.

Carnut

we know, we debated it seriously last time it was posted and thought we'd have a laugh this time! lol, joking in case you take me seriously

omega 24 v6

posted on 27/2/07 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Define an engineer.

Well for a start you'd need to be able to find your own arse using both hands. Most of the so called engineers (qualified and otherwise) only know how to cover their arse. I'd also say that you need to know your own limits of knowledge, and/or have the ability to find out or understand what you don't already know.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

rick q

posted on 27/2/07 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
Down here in the colonies, at least in Queensland, the "Professional Engineers Act" prohibits anyone using the term "engineer" unless they are eligible for Membership of the Institute of Engineers Australia.

Basically it stops things like the "night soil collection man" calling himself a "sanitary engineer" and such like.

The result is that dealing with an "engineer" means that the person has relevant tertiary qualifications. Doesn't mean he's particularly clever or anything, but at least he's obliged to carry Professional Indemnity insurance to fix his mistakes.

stevec

posted on 27/2/07 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
I agree washing machine "fitters" should not be called engineers, but most of the engineers I have come across have suffered far too much education and could not find thier arse with a bit of bog roll outside the little world they are "expert" in.
chrisg

posted on 27/2/07 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
My wife always terribly funny that my qualifications are in civil engineering.

As she rightly points out I'm the least "civil" person she knows.

In the yellow pages under "boring" it used to say "see civil engineers", I can vouch for that!

Cheers

Chris

marcjagman

posted on 27/2/07 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
So does that mean the 6 years of blood, sweat and tears that I spilled for an HNC in engineering were for nothing? If I am not a skilled man, then who is?
omega 24 v6

posted on 27/2/07 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

So does that mean the 6 years of blood, sweat and tears that I spilled for an HNC in engineering were for nothing? If I am not a skilled man, then who is?

No it doesn't we are in the same boat you and I. The good ship real engineers. And whats more we built it ourselves

caber

posted on 28/2/07 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
I am afraid that engineers that have a degree and no experience do not deserve to be called engineers. Engineers that have spent many years practically working and solving problems deserve the title Engineer whether or not they have a degree or HNC or whatever other qualification. Unfortunately the Institutes do not recognise years of experience unless backed up by a degree which is unfortunately worth less and less as time goes by and the system is massaged to provide more and more worthless graduates. So I for one will not be supporting this petition.

Caber

omega 24 v6

posted on 28/2/07 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
Here here.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.