Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: damn pop ups
gjn200

posted on 13/7/03 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
damn pop ups

Anybody got a link to a pop up stopper that will work with AOL browser. Damn things are driving me insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Arrrgh theres another 1

<- Me!

Peteff

posted on 13/7/03 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.allstarss.com/store/download/AdShield.exe
Worth a try.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

kingr

posted on 13/7/03 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Are you talking about Microsoft messenger popups? If so, you don't need any software. I'll assume you're using Windows 2000 or XP. Right click on "my computer" and click manage. Click on "services and applications" and then on "services". Scroll to "messenger" and double click on it. Select startup type as manual, and click the stop button. Click OK and exit computer management. All your popup worries should now be over.

In case you're wondering whether you need the messenger service for anything else, I'd say if you did, you'd know about it. It's occasionaly used for messages from power supplies and emergency messages for network administrators, but that's about all in my experience.

Kingr

Spyderman

posted on 13/7/03 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Kingr

Maybe you can help me as well!
Messanger has stoped working on my computer after installing a game.
I use Messanger a lot, but now as soon as it connects to the internet it brings up a MS report and shuts down. Windows Messanger does the exact same thing.
Any suggestions?
I don't really want to uninstall the game just yet as I had a right job installing it.

Terry

Spyderman

bob

posted on 13/7/03 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
I get the same thing with msn messenger i have to reboot to get it back,sometimes i have to search for it as it dissapears off screen totally.

I get an ERROR then CLOSE or IGNORE,then nout works followed by meltdown and me hitting the game over button.

It drives me mad too as i use the messenger everyday,i've been told its aol thing but i'm told that when anything goes wrong

David Jenkins

posted on 14/7/03 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
This is precisely my reason for using the Opera browser - you can choose whether to accept all pop-ups, refuse them all, or only show the ones you've specifically requested.

It's also quicker than IE, and is free (if you don't mind some small ads in the top-right corner). Pay them $39 and you get support and no ads!.

http://www.opera.com/

It's a big download, though.

David

[Edited on 14/7/03 by David Jenkins]

Jasper

posted on 14/7/03 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Kingr - those have been bugging me.
Deckman001

posted on 14/7/03 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
I had Norton and Zone Alarm installed after getting a 'Worm', The pop ups stopped as well !! RESULT eh

Jason

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.