Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New legislation
Viper

posted on 8/8/03 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
New legislation

New legislation will deter people from scrapping cars

The European wide 'End of Life Vehicle Directive' comes into force in a few weeks time and it could have serious implications for all of us.

The new legislation forces scrappies to dispose of cars in more environmentally friendly ways - including safe disposal of oils and brake fluids. All well and good, but the directive also requires the owner of the vehicle to cough up £100 to pay for the disposal of the fluids.

Whilst we all want cars displosed of cleanly, any measures that discourage owners from disposing of their vehicles in the proper manner are short sighted.

Since the scrap values of cars plummeted the number of cars dumped by the side of the road has soared. This new legislation is likely to see that number increase again.

(pinched fron Piston Heads)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 8/8/03 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
More free bits for James then.

good old Europe!!!!

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ChrisW

posted on 8/8/03 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone know when this is coming in? I've got two 'donors' on the drive waiting to go!

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyps

posted on 8/8/03 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
I tried searching the net after seeing this on PistonHeads.com but could not find an answer - I would love to know as I also have two cars to scrap in the near future - don't fancy a £200 bill for that (it's almost the total budget according to Ron!)

[Edited on 8/8/03 by andyps]

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

JoelP

posted on 8/8/03 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
I got rid of my sierra the other day, got quoted 10 quid! Couldnt believe it... i left him a twenty cos i thought he maybe had the wrong end of the stick and thought he was gonna get anything useful! Surely its not worth his effort just for the time collecting it, then he has to crush it still! The car was a s*it box!!
James

posted on 8/8/03 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
More free bits for James then.

good old Europe!!!!

yours, Pete.

Fan-fookin-tastic!

Pity about my local councils new policy of picking them up in one day though!

James

stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/8/03 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
took 50 quid to have my donor taken away 2 years back. its standard practice here in northants.

They CHARGE YOU to get rid of em.

Lots of dumped cars tho.

atb

steve

PS

there was a dumped G reg fiesta near where I work. It was clamped cos it had no tax. Last night it got torched. Its a complete burnt out wreck. The bright yellow clamp is completely untouched and as new !

atb

steve

[Edited on 8/8/03 by stephen_gusterson]

sg_frost
Builder

Posts 104
Registered 6/11/02

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roaster in college with students, gulp!

posted on 8/8/03 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
I've had two 4x4 sierra's and a granada taken away and squashed, even with other bits stuffed inside them, total cost, £0000, Free and for nothing!!!! Just got to know the right people, thats all!!!!
andyps

posted on 9/8/03 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I got rid of my sierra the other day, got quoted 10 quid!

JoelP - who was that, you aren't too far from me - they might get another couple of cars soon!

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.