Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: the neighbours...
JoelP

posted on 21/9/03 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
the neighbours...

what do all your neighbours think of the noises involved in making a car?

mine complained about the engine and hoist in the garden, the chopped up sierra, 2 cars, a van and a trailer in the drive, the lack of gardening (too busy building and typing!) and in particular the 15 mins on the grinder, on a sunny day when she had a friend round in the garden!

seeing as shes an OAP, living in what she thinks is a very respectable area (maybe was 10 years ago) i decided to avoid the grinder in future, and try to saw quietly, and have the garage door shut when the compressor is going, and try to time loud noises with passing aircraft.

she called the landlord anyway the old twat.

and while it would be nice to dig up her immaculate front lawn, it would be a little insensitive to her age. so i shat on her door step instead! kidding....

what about all your neighbours, good or bad?

eddie

posted on 21/9/03 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
as long as you aren't grinding thro the night, i dont see the problem, just do the noisey stuff at the weekend during the day,

my neighbours are ok,

but when i go up north to see my dad, theres an old boot lives opposite him, she comes banging on the door if you park in front of her house (not over her drive, just on the road outside) its not even like she owns a car or anything. i usually make a point of parking there now, just to wind her up

forget the SVA man, old ladies are a builders worst enemy

Please feel free in advance to: correct, update, ridicule or laugh and point at any comments made by myself in this post....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
thekafer

posted on 22/9/03 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
hyabusa no muffler

Let me guess,shes one of those slipper scootin blue hairs with 73 cats or 3 yipping little dogs!!!I say go bec or rotary.. no muffler!!

If that dont do it get 73 cats AND 3 yipping little dogs...(then pinch a loaf on her step)

Or,and hesitate to even suggest this...
hide the siera and other odd bits and offer to do the "heavy lifting"in her garden....

Fletch

[Edited on 22/9/03 by thekafer]

[Edited on 22/9/03 by thekafer]

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy...

David Jenkins

posted on 22/9/03 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
I'm very grateful that my neighbours are interested in my car, keep nagging me to finish it, etc. etc.

Just as well, considering that I spent 3 hours on Sat afternoon wire-brushing paint off my exhaust system...

...and I've just bought a compressor.

I do try and make the noise at sociable times - this time, it was when another neighbour was trimming his hedges with a petrol-engined device, that made as much noise as a chain-saw! Hardly anyone heard my noise...

David

timf

posted on 22/9/03 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
our neighbours went away a few weeks ago and their kids decided to have a party untill 4:00 in the morning despite the fact that we have a 2yr old and the other side have a 6 month old. we had to ship children off to grandparents for them to sleep.

Revenge was mine, 9:00 in the morning

with help of said next door but one pull large chevy 350 onto drive aim open exhaust manifolds at house start engine and rev it to the redline on and off for 5 mins. kids come out to complain about the noise and see me and other stood there smiling and decide better.

theconrodkid

posted on 22/9/03 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
anyone want to annoy neighbours your welcome to come round my place at 0600 any sunday morning

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

jonti

posted on 22/9/03 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Trouble with "gettin yer own back" on noisy twats by blastin' em back, is that all the other poor sods who suffered as well as you in the first place, then suffer again.

Best trick is put some dog sh*t in an envelope put it on the offenders door step, set fire to it and then ring the bell...

When they come to the door they see a burning envelope on their step and they........yes you guessed ..they step on it !!!......'kin brill.... makes me laff anyway !!!!!

Chris, has this site gone all PC then ?...it changed my dog "Sh*t" into "poo" 'til I subsituted the 'i' for an '*'...*%&*%%!!!

[Edited on 22/9/03 by jonti]

OFROK

Markp

posted on 22/9/03 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
You think you have got it bad??

I have had letter after letter from the council due to next door complaining (all different things), I have been threatened with a brick for using an engine hoist at 10am in the morning, I have had the environmental health around to see what I was up to, I have had insults shouted constantly through the window, stones thrown over at me, music played full blast ALL night, a horrid banging noise from his house at about 3-4am for three weeks............the list goes on. All this for three years and it's been hell

But..........................I DID IT!!

I built the car and it's on the road, but does it stop there?? OH NO

I'm now fitting a windscreen and getting it ready for le mans next year.

The letters are still coming though.

eddie

posted on 22/9/03 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jonti

...it changed my dog "Sh*t" into "poo" 'til I subsituted the 'i' for an '*'...*%&*%%!!!

wonder if its like a reverse gremlin, ie type in poo and you get sh*t????

Please feel free in advance to: correct, update, ridicule or laugh and point at any comments made by myself in this post....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jonti

posted on 22/9/03 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
wonder if its like a reverse gremlin, ie type in poo and you get sh*t????

Dunno mate: did you type in sh*t and get poo and then poo and get sh*t ?

Only you know the answer: to us it must remain a mystery like:.... why, in a field of cows, does the farmer always put the gate in the muddiest corner ?..... and...... why is abbreviation such a big word ?

I'm losing it completely now.........nurse !!! ...arrrggghhh !!

OFROK

stephen_gusterson

posted on 22/9/03 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
my neighbours have been fine.

I share a drive and the garage is semi detatched (its not my passat in the pic, for example).

Not one peep from them. In fact, I talk to the guy about footie as I build the car for ten mins or so every saturday. After 3 years he asked a question about it. Up to that time I could have been sweeping the garden, all the reaction I got.

atb

steve

JoelP

posted on 22/9/03 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
my neighbour the other way is sound though, its a similar set up to yours ste with the garage and drive.

brings me out a beer now and again!

for ages he saw me cutting and welding, when it finally got explained to be a car his eyes nearly fell out! lol...

he always tells me to make noise to wee the old dear off, even though hes a 'responsible' 50! cant do it to her though, you gotta get on with the neighbours hant ya?

Mark Allanson

posted on 22/9/03 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Most of my neighbours are fine and enthusiastic and have booked rides when its finished. I do have problems with one couple though. Classic phrase in cornwall came out "We came down to cornwall to retire, we want peace and quiet and you are disturbing this", my answer is that was you cannot expect the rest of cornwall to retire just because you have.

I am very considerate though, I never work after 6:00, never use the grinder, compressor, keep drilling to a minimum, but still they moan - what else can you do. They make more noise mowing the lawn!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Peteff

posted on 22/9/03 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
They make more noise mowing the lawn!

Complain when they mow the lawn. I can't see the fascination in short grass anyway, where's the mystery when you can see what you're treading in.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

thekafer

posted on 23/9/03 at 02:33 AM Reply With Quote
; to us it must remain a mystery like:.... why, in a field of cows, does the farmer always put the gate in the muddiest corner ?..... and...... why is abbreviation such a big word ?

[Edited on 22/9/03 by jonti] [/quote

...Why do we park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?....Why is the number 1 spelled with no 'w' but 2 is?...

Noodle

posted on 23/9/03 at 06:16 AM Reply With Quote
My neighbours lad plays the drums. But, he doesn't play after 9pm and he's bloody good. I went round to tell his parents that I thought he was good and I didn't mind. He's a nice kid.

Some other neighbours complained to me, but I asked them would they rather he did something constructive with his time, or hang around on the street corner with his mates gobbing at passing cars and looking morose?

I also didn't tell his parents about the all night party he had in the summer when they went away. OK there was alot of noise at 3am, but everything was good natured and there was lots of laughing. If it was a thicky-teeny party when testosterone gets out of control and aggression surfaces things would've been different. (I'm a big bloke with a volatile temper when pushed - that's why my wife's trying to persuade me NOT to be a character witness at a friend's trial )

Neil.

DaveFJ

posted on 23/9/03 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Just do what I did....

Tell the old bat to take the batteries out of her hearing aid, and then point out that by hearing all this noise it proves that she isn't dead yet - although it probably won't be long

- ain't i just the worst

James

posted on 23/9/03 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
This has all made me feel a bit guilty actually. I've usually stopped grinding by 10pm!
No complaints yet but maybe I'll be a bit more careful now it's getting darker earlier!

Maybe that's why my neighbours have all been so 'encouraging' they want it to be done so I'll stop making the noise!

I did weld up the guy opposite's lampshade Sunday night so that's probably pacified him a bit!

Cheers,

James

locoboy

posted on 23/9/03 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
i will quite hapily grind or sand up to 10.00pm light permitting as i have to suffer the gay 37yr old son still living with his folks doing karoke renditions of wet wet wet and dancing queen for 2 hours every night from 6-8, thats not a joke or an exaggeration, and boy does he sound homosexual.

col

ATB
Locoboy

stephen_gusterson

posted on 23/9/03 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
i have been known to make noise - rarely - at midnight.

Still have tolerant neighbours.

On the grass front, I know someone that did summat similar with weed liller and a watering can on a lawn,

the effects are so more instant and permanent (for a couple months!)

atb

steve

ChrisW

posted on 23/9/03 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
I heard of someone who did the grass trick on a larger scale by using daffodil bulbs. From the third floor above where it was done the words 'F**K YOU' were clearly visible in yellow

Chris

My gaff my rules

mackie

posted on 23/9/03 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
We've had no complains about the noise or Sierra carcass yet. However our neighbours do seem a little touchy about cars being parked outside their houses. Our landlord dislikes one of the guys and told us he responds well (ie leaves it alone) if you tell him to kindly f**k off. I like our landlord. The other side are all together more agreable but still a bit anal about parking on the street outside their house. They say they like the view. We shall soon have 4 running cars and 1 or 2 donors and room for 4 cars on the drive at a big push. It's a detached house though, which helps.
flyingkiwi

posted on 23/9/03 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
my neighbours are really good, and take quite an interest in the car, though one of them thought it was a boat.

Would offer to take them for a ride when its finished but most of them wouldn't fit in the seats. All fat sailors.

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

pbura

posted on 24/9/03 at 01:47 AM Reply With Quote
I have a lulu across the street, a Certified Crazy Bast*rd who takes rakes and shovels to cars that park at his curb, rearranges everyone's trash and leaves, scatters grass clippings in everybody's yards, tells children to stay off his sidewalk, and got into a fistfight with another guy over I don't know what. I have gotten along with this fellow for 19 years because I don't care what he does.

Well, I had my donor parked outside and off the edge of the driveway. Instead of saying anything to me about it, the guy calls the police, who come and tell me to cover it. I did so with a bright blue tarp, the only color available in that size at Home Depot.

My neighbor escalated by calling the building department and the police every day. The building inspector implored me to put the car in the garage, so the calls would stop, and I told him no.

Finally, the police showed up with a bit of code that said an unregistered vehicle could not be parked out of doors, so I waited until the deadline and rolled the donor into the garage. I told my wife, "Watch this." and put the hated blue tarp on another car!

Well, the nervous neighbor asked me what I was doing and I told him in the sweetest way that since I had this nice tarp, I might as well protect one of my vehicles. He went apesh*t and came at me with a hammer.

While he and I were dancing around, I told my daughter to call the cops, and he dropped his weapon and proceeded to call me every name in the book. He also threatened to fight my plans for an addition on my house. I responded that if he did, I'd cover my whole damned property in blue tarps!

Oddly enough, I don't think that the actual building will be a problem as this guy is fascinated by fix-it, do-it kinds of stuff. Eff him if he'll get a ride in it, though

Pete

P.S. My donor is pictured in situ where I bought it, not at my house.

[Edited on 24/9/03 by pbura]

Pete

thekafer

posted on 24/9/03 at 02:38 AM Reply With Quote
WOW!! When someone comes at you(roun these parts) with a weapon(hammer),you assume he's
goin to use it and CAP HIS NAPPY ASS!!

Is the guy a postal worker or what?

You win my vote for worst neighbor hands down!!!

Temped to glue a blue tarp to HIS car and call the police on him yet?

What a sh*t arse!!!

Good luck!! Fletch

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.