Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: (Expletive) Help with tin top.
clockwork

posted on 21/10/07 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
(Expletive) Help with tin top.

Got up early this morning to service the Mondeo. Jacked the car up with hydraulic jack, popped Axle stands underneath... as I was tightening the front wheel nuts back up the hydraulic jack lowered the car onto the stands, by itself. Phew, I think. Then I had a look underneath. It looks like I put the axle stands in the wrong place. :-(

Langugae
Langugae

So how do I fix it? Is it that bad?
(Yes I know I should have lowered the car onto the stands as the hydraulic jack is not designed for it. Just call me stupid)

[Edited on 21/10/07 by clockwork]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin.
"Well if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear" Morons the world over.

Locost/Kit builders info and FAQ website:- www.carbuilders.info

theconrodkid

posted on 21/10/07 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
looks like you pulled the floor pan from the chassis member,club hammer from inside and bang it back into place then weld the two together again

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Peteff

posted on 21/10/07 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Okay Stupid....

what needs fixing? If it's just pushed the floor up get a lump hammer and beat it back down. If it's creased the sills but not torn them you can ignore it or fill it depending on how bothered you are.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 21/10/07 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice I am just going out to work on my mondeo and now know where not to put the axle stands
Bash the floor back down and then put some seam sealer over the split.

chriscook

posted on 21/10/07 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TGR-ECOSSE
Thanks for the advice I am just going out to work on my mondeo and now know where not to put the axle stands
Bash the floor back down and then put some seam sealer over the split.

Didn't know seam sealer was structural!!!???

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 21/10/07 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't know seam sealer was structural!!!???

Sorry forgot to put a smiley after that comment But if that part was structural it shouldn't have split !!
Have you seen how much modern cars are held together with sealer? We have stripped a few shells for racing and its taken us ages to remove all the sealer to seam weld them

Big Stu

posted on 21/10/07 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Did a similar thing with a civic type r, there were no marking on the side where the jack was supposed to go, as the side skirts covered it in the early models. Got a puncture in the pissing rain and started jacking the front up. Jack was going up but car not moving. Luckily stopped before I did too much damage. Garage did not notice when I traded it in a couple of weeks later.

[Edited on 21/10/07 by Big Stu]

clockwork

posted on 21/10/07 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Well that was 3 hours of my life I won't get back.
Managed to bash it back into shape and spot weld it... catch fire to the carpet and the plastic bung. Find out that the reason you are going through so much gas is that the regulator on you 6 month old welder is knackered.
Do you ever feel like you should have stayed in bed?
Just need to paint it and underseal it now.
Thanks fellas for your help and humour you cheered me up.
Michael

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin.
"Well if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear" Morons the world over.

Locost/Kit builders info and FAQ website:- www.carbuilders.info

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.