Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recreating somebody elses product in Fibreglass, legalities?
the_fbi

posted on 2/11/07 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Recreating somebody elses product in Fibreglass, legalities?

Say, theoretically, you're fedup with paying £50+ for a product which doesn't last that long (not due to manufacturing or design issues), how do you stand with regards to using it to make a buck then creating your own?

The item I'm theoretically referring to is similar to the Tillett chain guard for a Rotax Max.

Chain Guard
Chain Guard

Given that it actually needs small modifications in order to fit my requirements, how would I stand if I modified theirs, then used it to make a buck, then made my own, for my own use?

Given it was modified from their design, I'm guessing that it would also be possible to sell them? Or as it was based on theirs would that be an issue?

Feedback appreciated.

ta
Chris

[Edited on 2/11/07 by the_fbi]

nludkin

posted on 2/11/07 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
My understanding is that if you copy it for your own use then there is no problem, but if you sell it then you can have big problems.

Alternatively, if you change the design by > 10% it becomes your own design and you can sell to your hearts content..

I stand to be corrected though

iank

posted on 2/11/07 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not a lawyer, but I've done too many IP courses over the years.

My understanding is you will be fine as you cannot protect functional parts of a design. So long as your guard doesn't copy any aesthetic areas (can't see anything beyond the label) it shouldn't be a problem.

However it's a bit cheeky pulling a mould off their part, looks a simple enough shape that you could make your own buck in an evening or two anyway.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

BenB

posted on 2/11/07 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
I think the shape is generic enough for you to be okay....

At the end of day the legalities are niceties. If a big company wants you to stop making "its" parts it'll take you to court in a process so expensive that you won't be able to actually get as far as court....

It's happened time and time again in the kit world... Just bullying companies....

Keith Weiland

posted on 2/11/07 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
If there is a patent on it then you would get in trouble but as it is a chain guard and has no new innovation from a chain guard for a bycycle or numerous other applications for the last how many centuries I can all but guarantee they haven't got a patent. No other rights are applicable on a functional item such as this other than trademark and I assume you wouldn't be marketing it as a Tillett chain guard. I would say you can safely copy it for any purpose.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 2/11/07 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
If you are changing the design I don't see a problem, especially if you don't document your design source on the internet forums

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 2/11/07 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
I guess you have to get caught first. Just dont publicise it on a public forum etc before hand and you should be OK.

Howlor

posted on 2/11/07 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
You will be fine.

Unless there are patents covering the design which I doubt very much then you ca only then get got for a registered design. Even if they have a registered design you would have to sell them to infringe. If you do sell them and you are an exact copy then I am sure you can prove prior art with a chain guard.

I have some reasonable experience in this field and have been in front of quite a few patent lawyers etc!

Steve

the_fbi

posted on 2/11/07 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the feedback.

So, who's a good buck maker

RazMan

posted on 2/11/07 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Ah .... everybody will make a fast buck if they can - but a good one is harder to find

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.