Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: neds back
timf

posted on 29/9/03 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
neds back

welcome back neddy

how much did you get done in your week off ?

James

posted on 29/9/03 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by timf
welcome back neddy

how much did you get done in your week off ?

Well, judging by the number of txt messages I had to reply to he better have done a bloody lot!

Atleast it's inspired me to get a move on- can't have these young whipper-snappers catching up too easily!

Hope you sorted your wishbones out Ned!

Cheers,

James

Ben_Copeland

posted on 29/9/03 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Well on friday when i saw him.... he's done... about 'bugger all' lol apart from a bit of extra strengthing on the chassis, and some rather unproductive grinding lmfao

and no, dont think he sorted the wishbones

James

posted on 29/9/03 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Doh!

Ned, what happened? I expected a lot of progress for my efforts!

I know there was an angle grinding/wishbone accident but other than that I thought things were going ok.

James

Ben_Copeland

posted on 29/9/03 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
His welder had packed up... and his bellhousing hadn't arrived... so he was kinda stuck lol
ned

posted on 29/9/03 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
well, fri-mon was productive chassis mods/welding (pics updated on my website) the welder packed in on tues morning (misfeeding off the reel) new tip, new reel (again) new gas..

have got the pistons out of the calipers, started cleaning one of them up (and painted red!). A day searching scrappies for my dizzy for running an injection engine on carbs. a lot of time trying to clean the engine up, fitted the westfield wet sump, cleaned and painted the gearbox (bellhousing removed) made up some plates to fit the engine ready for engine mounts. ground the back off a dif and put a hole in the casing (don't ask) spent an evening in a&e after grinding without goggles - say no more

messed up some crush tubes and bushes as lolocost stuff doesn't fit, messed up a wishbone and had to weld/regrind to get it right. brackets and wishbones are to right measurements, but lolocost crush tubes are supplied 3mm too long, roughly cut, bushes are two wide at ends so need to trim down the wishbone bush tube to fit. 2x wishbones trimmed and painted, hubs painted. awaiting wheel bearings, calipers seals, bellhousing arrived at work, not home address....

not too bad, could have been better.

in short, check my website for details....

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ben_Copeland

posted on 29/9/03 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
spent an evening in a&e after grinding without goggles - say no more
Ned.

You kept that quiet lol

David Jenkins

posted on 29/9/03 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
I have a tiny melt mark on my spectacles after grinding - and I was wearing goggles!

...and the mark is on the eye side!

David

Ben_Copeland

posted on 29/9/03 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Do the googles have vent holes in the top ???

Seems wierd that something got inside and burnt the inside of your glasses

ned

posted on 29/9/03 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
probably was when the goggles were on the bench, well i was just doing a tiny bit... and a shard hit the goggles as they ere face down and melted the inside...

Ned.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 29/9/03 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
No - it was while I was grinding... I was working in a tight corner, with sparks flying all round my head (I had a cap on to protect what's left of my hair ).

I spotted a spark rattling around inside my goggles...

The goggles are proper ones with an elastic headband (not the spec over-glasses). They do have tiny vent holes in the side tho'.

DJ

Ben_Copeland

posted on 29/9/03 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
guess bit of hot metal came through the vents and got in there... or the goggles weren't sealed properly... or it burnt all the way through your head and into your goggles
stephen_gusterson

posted on 29/9/03 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
i had metal go in my eye a couple years back from the grinder. I think it got in the holes. Dunno what they do cos they mist up after 90 secs or so anyway.

Get any metal in your eye sorted same day or it goes rusty in a couple days.

I was that soldier.

atb

steve

JoelP

posted on 29/9/03 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Those goggles are shite aren't they? i noticed that whenever you move them up to your forehead they come down totally steamed up.

as for sparks in the eyes i had a near miss with the plasma cutter. if you move the torch before its all the way thru it blows back big time, i jumped a mile and missed it all!

and i had another fire this morning, yep, you guessed it, welding over an oil pool and an old Sun... as steve said awhile ago, an extinguisher is a fairly good idea.

having said all that, i've made some big progress over the last few days, but im out of money and metal now so its debt collection time to raise funds! got most of the front finished, one more bracket for the springs and it'll bounce!!!! get in there sausage...!

blueshift

posted on 29/9/03 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
We got some spectacle-type safety glasses from BOC, cost about a fiver. They don't mist up because of the air gaps top and bottom.. not as safe as full goggles obviously, but better than the temptation to work without any protection because goggles are misting up..

I wear them all the time when working under cars, stops bits of shit/bolts/sockets falling in the eyes, and for grinding.. but wear full goggles for overhead grinding (bits tend to bounce off my forehead and roll into my eyes)

ned

posted on 30/9/03 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
well, the next morning, homebase, £5, don't steam up, i'll never be without them. metal under the eyelid is a right uncomfortable nuisance (and waste of time) - trust me.

James

posted on 30/9/03 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty sensible when grinding safety wise- always wear full goggles and ear defenders but have had sparks inside a couple of times. Even had bits in the eye but have always managed to get the bits out with a decent mirror and lots of light!

A warning to everyone (especially those building at other peoples houses) I have now bult up an impressive collection of things I've wrecked with the grinder sparks:

1 mug
1 bathroom suite (atleast it meant my Dad cleared the space in the garage afterwards)

and worst of all:
1 massive double glazed window! (unfortunately spotted by my Father this weekend! )

You'll notice that all these things are glazed- I hadn't realised that it got hot enough to melt glaze but apparently so. With the spare bathroom suite I was specifically targeting that area of the garage as I thought nothing would get damaged there. God only knows how some sparks got on the window but they've made their mark!

I've also noticed that the grindings (that I haven't bothered to sweep up) have stained the drive with rust and the metal 'powder' that's apparently been given off by it has also settled on the newly painted garage door and window frames and stained them too!

All in all, this 'LowCost' car building is gonna cost an awful lot of money!

James

ned

posted on 30/9/03 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
my dad had a go at me over a patio chair that got embedded with metal and told me not to grind towards the conservatory, though I think it may be too late for some grinding excrements....

Ned.

timf

posted on 30/9/03 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
beware when gringing towards cars also the hot sparks enbed themselves in the paint/windows then rust when it rains
try explaining that litte accident to shmbo

Ben_Copeland

posted on 30/9/03 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Nothing is kept in the garage that could get damaged.... Cos i'll damage it

Though i tend so use sand pads on my angle grinder... bit safer and less noisy

ned

posted on 30/9/03 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
yes, but ben you'd be lucky to cut through some 3mm plate or 16swg tube with a sand disc!

Ned.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 30/9/03 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
grinding sparks will get into the glass cos thats what happened to a metro I did up a few years back.

The metal that gets flung into your eye from a grinder cant always be picked out at home.

Mine had embedded and had to be removed, along with several rusty fragments, from my eye by a doctor with a metal hook / spike.

Not as bad as it sounds....

atb

steve

Ben_Copeland

posted on 30/9/03 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
yes, but ben you'd be lucky to cut through some 3mm plate or 16swg tube with a sand disc!

Ned.

Ned.

Thats what a hacksaw is for neddy my boy

pbura

posted on 30/9/03 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
How about a full face shield?

I just ordered one because I hate goggles, hope it will work.

Pete

Pete

stephen_gusterson

posted on 30/9/03 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
finished most of the grindy bits now!

atb

steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.