Author: Subject: A contrite Clarkson
iank

posted on 7/1/08 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
A contrite Clarkson

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7174760.stm

Description
Description

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

mitch2b

posted on 7/1/08 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
excellent, wonder how many more charities will benifit from his blunder

Mitch

MikeRJ

posted on 7/1/08 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
It's a pretty poor show that this happened, all the information he printed (apart from his address which is fairly easily found) is what is available on a cheque.

This is essentially a blunder by the bank, they obviously have not checked the signature on the DD application, and from personal experience I know they don't always look at signatures on cheques (they cashed one of my wifes cheques that I filled in and signed by mistake to pay for an ebay item). They should be held just as accountable as the criminals that perform these scams IMO.

woodster

posted on 7/1/08 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
o how i giggled
MikeRJ

posted on 7/1/08 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by woodster
o how i giggled

How hard would you be laughing if/when it happens to you? Clarksons error was in trusting his bank to do their job, nothing more.

Humbug

posted on 7/1/08 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Fair enough, the bank should have checked the signature properly, but usually things like the Direct Debit guarantee, credit card protection, etc. only apply if the account holder has taken every precaution to minimise the risk of info falling into the wrong hands. In this case, Jezza has clearly done the opposite

[Edited on 07.01.2008 by Humbug]

iank

posted on 7/1/08 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
o how i giggled

How hard would you be laughing if/when it happens to you? Clarksons error was in trusting his bank to do their job, nothing more.

Yes and no. Bank charges would increase massively if they checked every signature to the level required to prevent fraud. It would also start taking weeks to process them at busy times. They tend to put their efforts into sorting out the, relatively, rare time it goes wrong. Publishing all the information he did seems stupid at best - wonder if he checked with his bank first.

I'd also have no sympathy for someone walking into a rough pub and shouting I could beat any of you in a fight. It would be illegal to give them a kicking, but they'd have brought it on themselves if someone decided to have a go.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

MikeRJ

posted on 7/1/08 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
In this case, Jezza has clearly done the opposite

He's given information that is available on any cheque you may write, and on your debit card which may be handled by others are supermarket checkouts etc. An account number, sort code and even an address should not ever be be sufficient information to remove money from someone's account without the negligence of a bank.

speedyxjs

posted on 7/1/08 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Probably did it for publicity though

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Paul TigerB6

posted on 7/1/08 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
o how i giggled

Totally agree - i had a good laugh at that one!! He's obviously set out to prove a point through issuing a challenge and what we dont know is just how many people have tried to withdraw money from his account. How much extra work has Clarkson cost his bank through what is no doubt a lot of attempts to withdraw funds??? Serves him right as far as i'm concerned and i just hope he doesnt try to reclaim the money or complain about being defrauded.

He's built a career on being pretty controversial and outspoken so its bit him back this time - and i'm sure he can afford £500 to give to a diabetes charity (probably earnt more than that writing that one column!!)

Humbug

posted on 7/1/08 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
In this case, Jezza has clearly done the opposite

He's given information that is available on any cheque you may write, and on your debit card which may be handled by others are supermarket checkouts etc. An account number, sort code and even an address should not ever be be sufficient information to remove money from someone's account without the negligence of a bank.

Fair point... it was a bit like pulling his pants down and saying "kick me", though

MikeR

posted on 7/1/08 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Although i find it interesting that when i was robbed and a bank statement taken my bank said "don't worry about it".

Ok, thats not true, first of all at 2am they said "oooh, we'll cancel your cards and change your account number". I poo'd myself.

A week later when my new cards turned up with the same account number they said "its ok, there is no worry, all they can do is add money to your account, we'd never cancel accounts etc you where miss informed".

hmmmm .........

David Jenkins

posted on 7/1/08 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
He's just gained £500 worth of publicity, which was probably very cheap for an attention-seeking 'celebrity' like him.

He probably did it himself...

Peteff

posted on 7/1/08 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
I read the Sun and laughed when he printed his details, I suspected something like this might happen. He was big enough to admit he was wrong when it did happen though.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

caber

posted on 7/1/08 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
How times change! about 20 years ago my bank cashed a post-dated cheque, those days the paper cheque was handled at the branch prior to payment. When I went ballistic as the cheque took me well overdrawn and they charged me a fair whack in fees the manager admitted in writing they did not check all the details on every cheque. I copied this letter to the bank's head office, got a very apologetic letter and the manager was out of the branch days later!

These days banks care all about their own money and not a jot about their client's!

Caber

[Edited on 1/7/2008 by caber]

JoelP

posted on 7/1/08 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
i took it for granted that they dont check every cheque, it would be time consuming and comparing hand writing is not entirely simple. Their approach would be to check signatures etc if someone complains!
RK

posted on 8/1/08 at 01:47 AM Reply With Quote
The man is a blowhard idiot. He deserves everything. He's lucky it was only 500.
Mr Whippy

posted on 8/1/08 at 03:02 AM Reply With Quote
what a buffoon

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.