Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Damn it!!!
chunkytfg

posted on 3/3/08 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Damn it!!!

Missus jumped in my car this morning to go to work only to hear a 'clank'

Decided it's probably best if she doesnt take mine and got in her own car for the day!

I've just had a quick look only to find the front offside shock spring has snapped and the car is now off the road for 3 days while i try and get hold of a new one!!

Whoever said Volvo's are reliable and built like tanks obviously never drove my one!

Paul TigerB6

posted on 3/3/08 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
on the bright side you have a wife who actually heard the "clank" and didnt drive the car!! Guess you could consider things turned out very well in that case (unless you really dont like your wife!! ).
Mr Whippy

posted on 3/3/08 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
How heavy is your wife

Sorry

My Volvo’s mechanics look like they've been designed by someone who's only seen cars in a book. Some of it is bloody awful like the hand brake mechanism.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 3/3/08 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Probably not a good time to ask her if she's put on a bit of weight then

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 3/3/08 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm What make of car? My Bro in law had a front spring snap on his Vaulhall Signum a few months ago.

Dont know if there is anything there or not. ie a common fault. probablynot.

EDIT:

Sister just told me, there was a spate of broken springs the Breakdown man had done 8 in the last 2 months, and when Bro in law collected, they had two Merc's in with the same problem.

Sounds like faulty springs (from the supplier)

just a thought / 2d worth.

[Edited on 3/3/2008 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

owelly

posted on 3/3/08 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
As I was returning from the MoT test, I pulled up at a junction and BOTH front springs shattered!! Into tiny pieces. The biggest bit I found was about and inch long and it found its way into the side wall of my brand new tyre!! The guy at the motor factors commented on it been the third set of springs he'd sold in three days for Renault Lagunas but he's also sold four sets for Berlingos...

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/3/08 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
must be our quality roads

carpmart

posted on 3/3/08 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
One broke on my wifes car, less than three years old so got a new PAIR on warranty. I am sure that most of you know this but springs should always be replaced as a pair and not individually!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

DaveFJ

posted on 3/3/08 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Known problem with Fiat Stilo's too... they had to retrofit a steel cup around the spring base as a recall, just in case a spring broke and peirced the tyre.....

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

scottc

posted on 3/3/08 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
You´re lucky. My wife would have turned the stereo up, just in case in went clank again.
Gav

posted on 3/3/08 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaveFJ
Known problem with Fiat Stilo's too... they had to retrofit a steel cup around the spring base as a recall, just in case a spring broke and peirced the tyre.....

Yep we had to have my missus' car done even replaced the punctured type for free

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/3/08 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
I've heard the Vectra is a bit of a disater with springs, certainly mine is on it's second set and I think those have snapped also

chunkytfg

posted on 3/3/08 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
I suppose there is something to be said for having a missus that actually noticed the noise and thought better than to drive the car.

The car's done over 150k now so it is about time i started replacing things on the running gear i suppose. Up to now all it's needed was a rear wheel bearing.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.