Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: why does everything i buy end up being wrong?!
blakep82

posted on 7/10/08 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
why does everything i buy end up being wrong?!

grrrr....
got a mondeo clutch cylinder off someone on here for my type 9 box. great. looks just the job. worked out the length of the spacer needed, and since i don't have a lathe, and the engineering dude in my town can be a bit hit and miss sometimes, i decided it would be easier to just to buy a spacer. burton power seemed best, turned up today. perfect. except the o.d of the spacer is just too small to bolt the cylinder on to... great...

still, never mind, i'll work something out. on to the next think that arrived. been struggling to get the right thread nuts for MC mounting bolts welded to the chassis. thought i'd worked it out. its imperial, worked out its 7/16" and my thread guage is only metric or witworth thread. found it all lined up on the witworth gauge. ok, unusual perhaps, but fine. ordered some nuts. no, wrong thread. still in the blind. fan-f'ing-tastic... been waiting a week for those parts

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

coozer

posted on 7/10/08 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
So, what was wrong with the standard cable setup the box came with??

Nevermind, we all go through these sort of things, I've now got a Rover turbo engine in the garage that doesn't fit my car!!:

[Edited on 7/10/08 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

blakep82

posted on 7/10/08 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
starting to wonder why i didn't go cable clutch myself... ha ha, i know fine well why i didn't, my chassis was bought with the MC cylinder mount already, same with the pedal box, plus i didn't have the clutch arm and stuff already, so i HAD to buy something. made sense to go hydraulic from the start

oh, and i've got a 3 litre v6 in the garage that doesn't fit my car either... didn't buy that though

[Edited on 7/10/08 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

coozer

posted on 7/10/08 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
With ya there, I thought about it as well just cause I'd loverto be able to say.. "Oh its off a Mondy" and smile smugly

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

owelly

posted on 7/10/08 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
I cheated. I bought the Mondy slave for £10 from a scrappy. Then turned the trumpety bit down in my handy lathe and cobbled it together.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 7/10/08 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
yeah, that was the idea, but i'd still have needed a 20mm (or so) spacer. don't know what to do now... don't really want to spend £100 on the cylinder that fits the spacer and mount... grrr

need someone to make me a new spacer really i suppose.

mistergrumpy

posted on 7/10/08 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Nah you're not on your own at all. A brief list of what I've bought and own whilst trying to get it right:
2 sets of wishbones
2 sets of wheels
3 diffs
2 sets of driveshafts
2 aluminium dashboards made
2 fuel tanks
2 fuel filters
2 sets of suspension parts inc. springs
2 sets of bottom ball joints
3 left upper ball joints
1 right upper ball joint
done and replaced both front brake lines
2 propshafts

I'm also on my 2nd set of bodywork, though that one wasn't down to me

blakep82

posted on 7/10/08 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
are you buildoing 2 cars?!

oh, and a gearbox mount. i bought one of them too, doesn't fit...

mistergrumpy

posted on 7/10/08 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Keep pushing on mate. I'm only trying to build the one car.
It's more like a battle between me and the thing in the garage now. I'm literally less than 8 hours away from finishing the thing but at the moment every final thing goes wrong and it's peeing me off.
I'll bloody win though, if only through spite!

blakep82

posted on 7/10/08 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
i keep having targets, then missing them pretty badly... first one was my sisters wedding in august 08. had a year, car was barely a rolling chassis at the end of it. next one is to get it through SVA before it finishes. hmm, 5 months away, and its, er, barely a rolling chassis, with 2nd hand bodywork (mostly broken) repaired and sprayed to try and make it presentable

not gonna happen is it?

RichieW

posted on 7/10/08 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams
English humorist & science fiction novelist (1952 - 2001)

blakep82

posted on 7/10/08 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote

ashg

posted on 7/10/08 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
blake if you have a drawing/dimensions i can turn you a spacer as long as i can find a bit of suitable scrap.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

blakep82

posted on 7/10/08 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
^ Cool!
i'm not very good at technical stuff though... theres an engineering place in town, can be a bit hit and miss some times, but i'd be able to take the spacer i've got to him and he can basically copy it in bigger diameter i think, so i'll give him a shot first

clairetoo

posted on 8/10/08 at 06:19 AM Reply With Quote
You have my sympathy on this one - I ended up buying three different master cylinders (and taking the engine out to alter the mount on mine after I thought it was all finished...)
If your still stuck later in the week , I have a scrap type nine and a broken mondeo cylinder - all I would need is the length and I may have a bit of ally hanging around to knock something up out of.....

[img][/img]

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

mcerd1

posted on 8/10/08 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
Nah you're not on your own at all. A brief list of what I've bought and own whilst trying to get it right:................................................

and I thought my 3 donor cars was bad

mistergrumpy

posted on 8/10/08 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Just had to go and pick up my 4th clutch cable arm for the ZX9. Sodding thing has been eating them. Think I'm sorted now though.

mistergrumpy

posted on 8/10/08 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Just to add. No I put it in, pressed the clutch and.... nope! Another one bol***ked
Therefore subscribing again to the "everything I buy/do goes wrong!"

blakep82

posted on 19/10/08 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
ok, this should work
Description
Description

i think 3mm for the steel should be alright shouldn't it?

Hugh Paterson

posted on 19/10/08 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Lets play Spin the spacer

Hi Blake, u have a u2u
Shug

blakep82

posted on 19/10/08 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
u2u2u2!

happy days

[Edited on 19/10/08 by blakep82]

blakep82

posted on 31/10/08 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
ha ha ha! it works! happy enough with how it all worked out i must say

clutch1
clutch1

clutch2
clutch2

clutch3
clutch3

clutch4
clutch4

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.