Board logo

which cage mounted camera?
daniel mason - 1/1/12 at 06:58 PM

any decent quality cage mounted cameras at the moment for not massive money. been looking at gopro but they seem very expensive

Steve Hignett - 1/1/12 at 07:20 PM

You get what you pay for...

dlatch - 1/1/12 at 07:22 PM

buy cheap buy twice

also now the new go pro HD has a external mic point so you could record without the horrible wind noise issue

it's a must buy for me once my kit is on the road

mr_pr - 1/1/12 at 07:28 PM

Go Pro, absolutely excellent and can be used in so many different ways. Worth getting the HD Hero2 if you can afford it, if not the 2 offers a very good camera for the cost.

The 2 allows you to alter the FOV, frame rate and resolution independently which is very nice.

welderman - 2/1/12 at 01:12 AM

Can't fault the go pro. I've got the normal one and hd one. Both excellent cameras

Tommy P - 2/1/12 at 03:19 AM

I've got the same as welderman. I'm selling the normal lens one, which has only been used once (£100 if your interested ), to fund buying a HD one which are about £230. Check out the video link to see the quality.

franky - 2/1/12 at 06:04 AM

The go pro's do offer a good solution but you'd get just as good a picture out of a nice pal set-up for less cash. what size screen are you wanting to play it back on?

snapper - 2/1/12 at 08:06 AM

The GoPro is without doubt a very good solution and when compared with the data logging race setups a great price.
What you have to rationalise is price over quality, if you are only going to watch it on a pc screen or a smart phone you don't need HD or even high res.
I bought a cheap £20 lipstick which works very well the problem is the 5 min record length then it splits the video.
Cheap solution though.
A lot of the small cams are still very good but as said you get what you pay for.

Sound is a big issue and with camcorders I always run an external mic out of air flow.
I have used a digital sound recorder in the footwell and dubbed sound over video in edit as I think there is nothing worse than wind noise or no engine noise.

News that the GoPro has a mic socket is good news.

orton1966 - 2/1/12 at 08:34 AM

Go for one of the non-HD set ups, bullet cams etc. Everyone is going HD now but the better non-HD stuff can do full dvd quality which will work on any screen size. Plus the resulting files are more manageable (size) when editing etc

loggyboy - 2/1/12 at 09:06 AM

Just pick up a cheap digital camera (£50 tops), almost all have video and sound. Alternativly a nowmal HD camcorder, I picked up mine for £150 and can use it for more than just a car camera.
Then make up your own mount, My bro made this complicated one, but the design would be easiy to simplfy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08TVeGw55iw

I used my 8 year old 640x480 nikon digital camera on a £7 sucker mount to take almost all my incar youtube clips:
THe outside wheel clips were on a SD bullet cam with a JVC handycam (with a video input, which not many camera have)
Bearing in mind that youtube downgraded the uploaded to 360 resolution.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDYJCNmmFA0&list=PLBD4BA8188D8D5CB9&feature=plcp&context=C38cffceFDOEgsToPDskKehC9IMI5LhxnHCOGqojhJ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKK7ARypMqM

[Edited on 2/1/12 by loggyboy]

franky - 2/1/12 at 09:42 AM

also don't get caught up on having HD as its not proper HD anyway as that's 1080P and runs at 3G.

loggyboy - 2/1/12 at 10:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by franky
also don't get caught up on having HD as its not proper HD anyway as that's 1080P and runs at 3G.
just a
Isnt 3G the type of mobile connection, and nothing to do with HD itself.

gingerprince - 2/1/12 at 10:23 AM

I use a contourgps, but they have a cheaper model now the contour roam. Still does 1080p but only at 30fps, which gives a rolling shutter effect on fast panning.

The gps as well as the contour+ do 720p at 60fps which gives a much more fluid video. The + also has external Mic connection.

Some say the picture etc in the gopros is better than the contours, and it may be, but there's not much in it.

For me, I wanted the form factor (the gopro looks stoopid on a snowboard helmet whereas the contours do not). They're Bluetooth enabled too so you can use android or iPhone to configure and as a viewfinder to line it up.

franky - 2/1/12 at 11:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:
Originally posted by franky
just a
Isnt 3G the type of mobile connection, and nothing to do with HD itself.

I meant 3G as in the bandwidth, 3 Gig.