Board logo

Starter motor.
paulf - 22/7/02 at 08:49 PM

I have just realised that the engine i am fitting has an inertia starter type ring gear fitted as when i bolted up the sierra starter the pinion is permanently engaged. Are there any cars that use the inertia type starter and will fit the type 9 box?. The previous owner of the engine had put thick washers between the engine and box and I now know why but dont fancy the same bodge as there is also no lead on the ring gear teeth and i think the tooth pitch may also be different.Would I be able to obtain a recon starter at a sensible price?
Paul

theconrodkid - 22/7/02 at 10:05 PM

What engine you using?

David Jenkins - 23/7/02 at 07:30 AM

You might consider changing the ring gear...
...no idea how much that costs, but a pre-engaged starter sounds better when starting!

The inertia starter makes old Fords sound like nuts being shaken in a biscuit tin.

David

paulf - 23/7/02 at 08:20 PM

Its a 1600 crossflow and is now fitted to the chassis, it is only a temporary engine to get the car registered before fitting my blade engine. I am getting to the stage where i am cutting corners so as i can SVA the car this autumn after nearly 3 years building.I will put up with the old ford noise for a short while.
Paul.
quote]You might consider changing the ring gear...
...no idea how much that costs, but a pre-engaged starter sounds better when starting!

The inertia starter makes old Fords sound like nuts being shaken in a biscuit tin.

David