Board logo

Pinto engine identification advice
TAZZMAXX - 20/10/11 at 12:12 PM

What and where are the identifying marks to look for on the Pinto? Are some on the block and some on the head? I just picked up my donor engine and box and see there are random numbers and letters cast into the block but just want to know which ones will identify it and give a rough idea of spec and age.

Thanks in advance.

DixieTheKid - 20/10/11 at 12:27 PM

Its in rasied numbers on the block. It will be 200 or 205 if its a 2.0l. Take the long number off of the engine and write to ford and they can give you all the details including age etc, ill post the address later that you need to write to.

[Edited on 20/10/11 by DixieTheKid]

Daddylonglegs - 20/10/11 at 12:50 PM

2 numbers:

One raised number on the lower part of the block which is the block code

The other is near the alternator mount and is stamped onto a flat raised area. This is the number that will better age your engine. Take the first 2 letters and look here

Also, as mentioned, there will be either 205 or 2.0 in raised letter on the block too. Mine is the 2.0 and is from 1980 (engine # begins 'AS' )

HTH

JB

[Edited on 20/10/11 by Daddylonglegs]

mcerd1 - 20/10/11 at 01:57 PM

both of these pics are of the stronger/thicker '205' blocks

Pinto - 205 block
Pinto - 205 block
pinto - 205 block
pinto - 205 block

they can be bored out to 2.1 without a problem and should also have slightly stronger conrods too

the EFI heads flow a little better as standard (mostly found on 205 blocks) they are easy to spot as the inlet ports are egg shaped instead of round (makes no odd's if your going to port the head anyway)
and there is some stuff in the haynes manual about codes for unleaded heads (mostly EFI ones)

[Edited on 20/10/2011 by mcerd1]

[Edited on 20/10/2011 by mcerd1]

TAZZMAXX - 20/10/11 at 02:49 PM

Mine just says 20 cast in where the photo shows 205. It has an alloy sump that I believe is RS, alloy engine mounts and strangely an adjustable cam pulley. I might give it a minor strip down to see if it has any other useful parts. I know it's not the best engine but, as stated, it's a reasonable start and will probably be replaced for somsthing better in the not too distant future.

snapper - 20/10/11 at 03:07 PM

People get to hung up on the 205 block.
Any block will do unless you want to bore it out big.
I would now spend money on rods and forged pistons before boring out.
The rods in a non 205 block will still rev to 7000 without serious problems just use ARP rod bolts.
The injection head is worth near 10 bhp on it's own.
If you have a vernier cam pulley you probably have a better than standard cam.
Let me know what you find, i have a few simple cheap bhp tips for the Pinto.

jacko - 20/10/11 at 04:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by snapper
The rods in a non 205 block will still rev to 7000 without serious problems just use ARP rod bolts.

A few simple tips fit bike carbs
jacko

RAYLEE29 - 20/10/11 at 06:12 PM

quote:

Ditto.
people were making good horsepower with pintos well before the 205 block came along.
you can bore most 20 blocks to 2.1.
david vizard and des hamill have written loads on pintos.
a cam swap is the single most important thing to give you good horsepower then get some bike carbs and make a manifold add a freeflowing exhaust and youll be flying
Ray

Autosri - 20/10/11 at 06:20 PM

quote:

Care to share any of those cheap tuning tips for pintos

Also you seem to know a bit about these engines I have a 205 block and a head that has a I stamped on it and the engine came from a 1988 sierra would this indicate an injection head or some other random thing lol

mcerd1 - 21/10/11 at 07:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Autosri
Also you seem to know a bit about these engines I have a 205 block and a head that has a I stamped on it and the engine came from a 1988 sierra would this indicate an injection head or some other random thing lol

are the inlet ports oval or round ?

Autosri - 21/10/11 at 08:06 AM

i dont know the inlet manifold is on at the minute so cant tell thats why i was hoping the letter meant something

i will be finishing off the coolant overhaul in the winter so will find out then as im gunna replace the gasket on the inlet i just really wanted to know it was unleaded

mcerd1 - 21/10/11 at 08:16 AM

there is a code for the unleaded heads - its in the haynes manual for the sierra/granada (don't have that to hand though)
and I don't think all the EFI heads were unleaded

but if your valve clearances are ok (i.e. not wearing out too quick) then you've got nothing to worry about anyway

Autosri - 21/10/11 at 08:49 AM

That's the job for the weekend I have just collected some feeler gauges also what would you class as quickly is it a matter of miles or thousnfs of miles sorry for the dumb questions but this is all new to me as the engine is the same age as me lol