Board logo

Type 9 brass saddle fitment
se7ensport - 2/5/12 at 09:35 PM

I've bought a replacement type 9 saddle from Burton in brass, the only instructions for it's fitment are on their website "MADE WITH ELONGATED EARS WHICH MUST BE CRIMPED WHEN FITTED."

Has anyone else fitted one?

If it's the ears at the bottom of the picture then I can't see how it can be done without taking the gearbox apart:

type 9 saddle
type 9 saddle

Any info greatly appreciated.

Chippy - 2/5/12 at 10:39 PM

Well looking at your picture, that seems to be cast brass, so crimping any part of it will be a definate no no. If you try, the part you are trying to crimp will just break off. IMHO Ray

Bluemoon - 3/5/12 at 09:57 AM

Might be worth calling them? I have a feeling though that the gear lever will hold it in place, maybe a spot of grease to stop if coming off when you insert the gear lever? The plastic saddle is "cliped" in place but I think this is just to stop you losing it when removing the lever...

Dan

dhutch - 3/5/12 at 05:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
Might be worth calling them? I have a feeling though that the gear lever will hold it in place, maybe a spot of grease to stop if coming off when you insert the gear lever? The plastic saddle is "cliped" in place but I think this is just to stop you losing it when removing the lever...

Dan

Presumably the idea is a crisper shift than with the plastic original?

se7ensport - 3/5/12 at 07:10 PM

Crisper shift (less slop) and doesn't disintegrate with hard gear changes, my plastic one was only 1643 miles old and the little tag at the top was missing and the middle of the bush showed signs of a lot of wear..

Thanks for the advice above.

I did call Burton, but the response wasn't convincing i.e. just squeeze the ends over. I asked how this was supposed to be achieved in brass that is likely to brake and that it isn't possible to get pliers on the bottom of the saddle once fitted, they didn't have an answer!

I put copper grease on it to hold it in position for assembly and it went together without issue, combined with the new quick shift stick it feels like a bolt action riffle (only tested in garage, but expect the same on the road), really chuffed.

[Edited on 3/5/12 by se7ensport]

DH2 - 4/5/12 at 08:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by se7ensport
combined with the new quick shift stick it feels like a bolt action rifle

Alex, this is something I intend to do to mine - which quick shift kit have you used?

DH2

se7ensport - 4/5/12 at 04:51 PM

I used this one: http://www.edsmotorsport.co.uk/5-speed-quickshift-gear-lever-31-p.asp

Looks the same as one on ebay and RallyDesigns due to the green base, this is the cheapest I could find it at £46.50 delivered.

Got your cage yet? interested to see some pictures.

DH2 - 4/5/12 at 07:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by se7ensport
I used this one: http://www.edsmotorsport.co.uk/5-speed-quickshift-gear-lever-31-p.asp

Looks the same as one on ebay and RallyDesigns due to the green base, this is the cheapest I could find it at £46.50 delivered.

Got your cage yet? interested to see some pictures.

Thanks - it's on my Stoneleigh shopping list, so a useful comparison price.

Cage not done yet, the chassis/body is going away to be done on Tuesday - I'm picking it back up on the 18th.

Dave