Board logo

Oil senders
David Jenkins - 18/9/02 at 01:00 PM

Can anyone tell me the best way of getting an oil pressure sender onto my X-flow block?

I'm making my own instrumentation so I don't care what make the sender is, just so long as it works by varying a resistance and fits onto my engine.

First I need to know the thread for the existing oil pressure switch - anyone know?

cheers,

David

Alan B - 18/9/02 at 02:46 PM

David,

Guessing a bit, but I'd say 1/8 BSP

Alan B

stephen_gusterson - 18/9/02 at 07:05 PM

I had no end of problems trying to figure out what the heck my oil sender thread was, so i could get an adaptor to take a tap off for a pressure sender as well as an oil light.

I bought, from europa spares, i think, a product called :

'le mans motorsport LMA 058 oil guage T piece' 1/4 npt 1/4 npt 1/8 npt.'

My engine is a Ford Cologne 2.9/2.4 and the block is most certainly a 1/4 npt american thread. I suspect that other Fords might also be. Perhaps a look in a halfords parts catalog might see if its similar.

The adapter I have goes into the block, with a similar female bit to take the switch, and in the side is drilled a hole to take the sender. Its a VDO sender, and that was 1/8 npt.

As usual amercan threads are a bit confusing. The actual screwy in bit isnt an 1/8 or quarter at friggin all.

1/4 npt looks about 12mm and 1/8 looks about 6 - 7mm.

The plastic card the adapter is on says :

www.lemansmotorsport.co.uk

If you are looking for an actual electric sender, you can buy em seperate - just search the net for a UK gauges company.

I got mine from detroit www.egauges.com

sort all that out!

atb

steve

David Jenkins - 18/9/02 at 08:34 PM

I knew there was a good reason for my confusion...

David

paulf - 18/9/02 at 08:49 PM

Hi David how about buying a sender for a newer ford with an electrical oil pressure guauge, i would think that they are all the same thread and seem to remember them being 1/8 bsp.I am sure you could easily turn up an adaptor to suit or else buy an adaptor bush for pnematic pipework from an enginnering suppliers.
Paul

quote:
I knew there was a good reason for my confusion...

David