Board logo

Where to fit coolant gauge sender?
flanders - 3/1/17 at 10:19 AM

Due to a lack of fittings on the engine im going to fit a coolant temp sender using an in-line adapter in my radiator hose, should i be monitoring the hot flow into, or cooler return from the radiator?

im thinking the flow in side, as close to the engine as possible?

Im aware that i wont be getting accurate temps until the stat is open but thats when i want to be monitoring the temp anyway

SPYDER - 3/1/17 at 10:26 AM

Hi there. I fitted mine into the outgoing pipe to tell me how hot the engine is actually running. (Once the thermostat is open).

flanders - 3/1/17 at 10:32 AM

outgoing from the engine to the rad? if so thats what i was thinking, do you get an accurate reading once the stat is open?

CosKev3 - 3/1/17 at 11:34 AM

I welded a boss into my thermostat housing before the stat,as this is where coolant temps are taken from on engines that have a coolant temp gauge as standard

flanders - 3/1/17 at 11:56 AM

I can't weld I'm taking the easy option

flanders - 3/1/17 at 12:03 PM

Unfortunately the zx12 only had one sensor which feeds the dash and ecu so I'll need to leave this in place for the ecu to read engine temps. And I can't see any other threaded blanks I can use

CosKev3 - 3/1/17 at 12:23 PM

Will work fine in the pipe after the thermostat,will just seem as if the engine is slow to warm up though looking at the gauge

britishtrident - 3/1/17 at 12:45 PM

If no room in the thermostat housing the next best place is in the by-pass plumbing.

big-vee-twin - 3/1/17 at 07:04 PM

Mines in the top hose, feeding the rad, it doesn't show much temp til the thermostat opens, but I like it like that as it confirms stat open and water flowing. Megasquirt uses sensor at the back of the head. You can see it on the pic below.

[img] Jenveys
Jenveys
[/img]

flanders - 3/1/17 at 11:08 PM

Brilliant thanks for the help fellas