Board logo

Pro vs DIY tune up -Blade engine
Banana - 10/1/17 at 10:57 AM

Just curious if there is much benefit to having a simple carbed Blade engine 'tuned' up by a pro VS someone competent following the Haynes book and setting carbs to basically standard.

Leaving a rolling road aside - is there much tuning potential to be found on a standard setup?

40inches - 10/1/17 at 11:18 AM

I found 15bhp and MUCH better pulling away from standstill on a ZX9R. Well worth the £90 cost

Banana - 10/1/17 at 11:33 AM

That's a lot of horses to find!

So you paid a pro?

40inches - 10/1/17 at 01:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Banana
That's a lot of horses to find!

So you paid a pro?

Yes. I thought I had got it pretty good, but the RR operator fitted larger pilot and main jets, and lifted the needle 0.5mm.

CosKev3 - 10/1/17 at 01:54 PM

Had my R1 set up/rejetted by Dale at Bailey Performance done on a RR using the AFR to set it up.

Was spot on afterwards

Banana - 10/1/17 at 02:15 PM

Think i will take to the garage then. This guy is local and builds/competes with his own bikes, so should know his stuff.

CosKev3 - 10/1/17 at 02:19 PM

Has he got a RR?

As my car went fine on the road the way I had set carbs up, but first time Dale ran it up on RR the AFR went off the scale at part throttle as it was running stupidly rich!

Andy B - 10/1/17 at 09:30 PM

Jetting and carb set up for car application is very different to bike settings
As long as you are using a self regulating pump settings as follows
Pilot screws 2 1/4 turn out
Mains 132 if pipercross panelFilter 130 if stock airbox with race filter 128 if stock airbox
Do not drill the slides as a dynojet instruction will tell yo
Instead block the main air corrector jet
Install heavy duty lift spring
Install fltv50 needle profiles with e clip on second groove from top
Job done
Done hundreds of hours on the rollers - always comes back to that
Balancing the carbs will make a big difference
Basically that jet Kit is £130 - you can fit Yourself and if you want it balanced pop it over one morning and I will put
It on our digital vac unit for you
Regards
Andy

super__dan - 17/1/17 at 09:16 PM

Can anyone recommend someone to set up a Fireblade engined 7 around Goole / Leeds area?