Board logo

Inner CV boot replacement
bi22le - 1/10/23 at 03:15 PM

I'm struggling to work out how to take the pet case of to reduce the diameter allowing me to put a replacement boot on.

I can't see any circlips unless it's buried in the remaining grease.

The universal boots look shite, especially the split ones.

HELP!!

adithorp - 1/10/23 at 03:29 PM

Drive shaft origin might help?
?

Split boots are suited though. Stretch ones are OK but you need a fittingcone and lots of silicone spray or borrow a boot stretcher.

nick205 - 1/10/23 at 03:58 PM

If it's a Sierra driveshaft these might help. I rebuilt mine with OEM ovehaul kits.

Fiddly bit was holding it together whilst peening the new metal boot closed. I did inner and outer boots on both sides. Once done and fitted they never leaked or gave any issue. Like you I'm not a fan of stretchy boots and certainly no split boots.

I got the OEM overhail kits from my local Ford main dealer's parts counter. Mega helpful guy working there at the time, with a real interest in kit cars.

adithorp - 1/10/23 at 07:56 PM

The boot kits are no longer available from Ford last time I asked (when I used my last spare one). If you cant find old stock somewhere, you'll have to very carefully un-pein the can and reuse it.

bi22le - 1/10/23 at 11:08 PM

See this is what it looks like to me, the outer shell is peened on.

What a bitch.

I'll see if I can stretch a universal boot over I think. It hurts me to say that though

nick205 - 2/10/23 at 06:38 AM

Might be your best bet if you can't find any new old stock overhaul kits. Un peining and re peining will be a nightmare and I'd not fancy the chance of high reliability afterwards either. The metal of the can isn't very forgiving.

Mr Whippy - 2/10/23 at 07:27 AM

Use a stretch boot kit, basically a large cone you pull a special boot over the joint (don't try it with an normal boot). I won't say it's a doddle as I still struggled to stretch the boot that much especially as there is grease everywhere but it does work, I heated the boot up first in boiling water to soften it.

Don't let your neighbors see you as it all looks very kinky!

[Edited on 2/10/23 by Mr Whippy]

MikeR - 2/10/23 at 09:01 AM

I bought the last boots from my local ford years ago and i'm certainly not selling them. They are rocking horse poo.

Their is a similar component on another car that fits but its a slightly larger OD. I do keep trying to find it but never succeed. I think its VW.

adithorp - 2/10/23 at 03:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Use a stretch boot kit, basically a large cone you pull a special boot over the joint (don't try it with an normal boot). I won't say it's a doddle as I still struggled to stretch the boot that much especially as there is grease everywhere but it does work, I heated the boot up first in boiling water to soften it.

Don't let your neighbors see you as it all looks very kinky!

[Edited on 2/10/23 by Mr Whippy]

That might look kinky but the proper tool is scary...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314378689182?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=dp1D1dQsQPy&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=jvzsexmirua &var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

nick205 - 3/10/23 at 09:45 AM

Should add, when I say I got the OEM overhaul kits from my local Ford main dealer's parts counter, that was nearly 20 ago!

The Ford main dealer is long since gone - a Wickes builders merchant now.