Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bell Housing Bolts - Size
Visco

posted on 20/7/02 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Bell Housing Bolts - Size

Could anyone tell me the size of bolts that I need for bell housing mounts on the engine. I've just brought an engine stand to start my rebuild and I want to buy some longer ones. I got my engine on it's own so I have no bolts to compare.
Thanks !

David Jenkins

posted on 20/7/02 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
What engine, and what gearbox!

David

paulbeyer

posted on 20/7/02 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
If we are talking Pinto here then the best way to fix it to an engine stand is with M8 threaded bar. This was suggested to me by other members of this group when I was trying to find bolts long enough to do the job. It just happened that I had some threaded bar in the garage but if you need to buy it then you are only talking of a few quid for a meter length, more than enough for what you'l need.
If you don't have a Pinto then I am probably talking bollocks. (At least I'm consistent).

Visco

posted on 22/7/02 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
Apoligies All...........I must have been half a sleep when typing the original note !!

It's for a 1300cc X-Flow engine/gearbox that I need the thread type and size.
I'm wanting to put the block onto a Engine stand I got from Machine Mart so that I can start the rebuild.

Thanks in Advance

David Jenkins

posted on 22/7/02 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
We'll forgive you - many wouldn't

Try 3/8" UNC. You'll probably find that general-purpose 3/8" studding from your local hardware show will fit just fine (did for me). Makes it easy to fit onto the engine stand.

I've just been down this road, fitting a Type 9 box onto a 1600 Xflow. M10 from engine to bellhousing (6 bolts), 3/8 UNC from bellhousing to engine block (2 bolts)!

cheers,

David

Visco

posted on 22/7/02 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Dave

Thanks very much for the help !!!!!

I've got what you suggested and my block is now sitting proudly on the new stand waiting for me to start to put it back together......Now where that bag of bits hehehe!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.