Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sump Mods
wicket

posted on 30/1/04 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Sump Mods

I've done a search but can't find the answer to my question so here goes. I've just started modifying the sump of 1600 x-flow, removing approx 0.5 litre volume out of 3.6 litre oil capacity. How important is it to get the 0.5 litres back by adding a wing etc to the side of the sump?
(0.5 litre is about the difference beteen 'Max' and 'Min' on the dip stick)

Any help much appreciated.

Peteff

posted on 30/1/04 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
As long as what's left covers the oil pickup at all times the actual volume should still be alright. There should still be some safety margin left even when the engine runs on the minimum level. Adjust the dipstick as well and check it often.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

rusty nuts

posted on 30/1/04 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hi jack thread but when modifying sump is there any point in installing baffles? If there is has anyone any information as to how ? thanks in advance, Rusty
David Jenkins

posted on 30/1/04 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Wicket,

It's not necessary to extend sideways on the x-flow sump - you can go forwards.

Look at my site to see what I did (link below). Click on the steering wheel, then select 'special tools and parts' from the menu.

I ended up with exactly the same volume as standard, with a sump that was about 1.5" shorter.

Rusty - if you do what I did, then you end up with 'built-in baffles'.

regards,

David

Mark Allanson

posted on 30/1/04 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
I did not like the idea of a wing on the side of the sump, I heard several reports from builders who had done this that fitting the clutch cable was very difficult because of this.

I cut 1 1/2" off the sump pan, and extended the sump forward instead of outwards, probably increasing the capacity to about 10 pints in the process, but this will do no harm except increasing the oil warm up time. I did baffle the sump by fitting a steel plate inside the shortened sump pan and making a 2" hole for the pick up pipe to pass through, probably not necessary, but I once owned an Alfasud which displayed its oil pressure light on every roundabout, and I did not want the same problem!

I think the end result is much neater and will make the engine easier to pull out if necessary. Rescued attachment Sump.jpg
Rescued attachment Sump.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

wicket

posted on 30/1/04 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Pete/David/Mark

Thanks guys. Think I'm inclined to go with it as it is at the moment (shorten) and see what happens when finally on the road.

David

I do lke your website, very impressed. Your chassis trailer looks very nice to, simple but functional.

[Edited on 30/1/04 by wicket]

rusty nuts

posted on 31/1/04 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your help Mark and David, should be able to alter my sump now. also David, have already made remote gear linkage using info from your site. I can now reach gear lever when strapped in. great mod, cheers Rusty

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.