Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Starter motor.
paulf

posted on 22/7/02 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Starter motor.

I have just realised that the engine i am fitting has an inertia starter type ring gear fitted as when i bolted up the sierra starter the pinion is permanently engaged. Are there any cars that use the inertia type starter and will fit the type 9 box?. The previous owner of the engine had put thick washers between the engine and box and I now know why but dont fancy the same bodge as there is also no lead on the ring gear teeth and i think the tooth pitch may also be different.Would I be able to obtain a recon starter at a sensible price?
Paul

theconrodkid

posted on 22/7/02 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
What engine you using?
David Jenkins

posted on 23/7/02 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
You might consider changing the ring gear...
...no idea how much that costs, but a pre-engaged starter sounds better when starting!

The inertia starter makes old Fords sound like nuts being shaken in a biscuit tin.

David

paulf

posted on 23/7/02 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Its a 1600 crossflow and is now fitted to the chassis, it is only a temporary engine to get the car registered before fitting my blade engine. I am getting to the stage where i am cutting corners so as i can SVA the car this autumn after nearly 3 years building.I will put up with the old ford noise for a short while.
Paul.
quote]You might consider changing the ring gear...
...no idea how much that costs, but a pre-engaged starter sounds better when starting!

The inertia starter makes old Fords sound like nuts being shaken in a biscuit tin.

David

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.