Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Uh oh!!
Simon

posted on 25/7/02 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Uh oh!!

Hi Guys,

Started cleaning my engine last night (1.8CVH).

Drained oil, and removed sump.

Went to clean out rest of oil with a rag, and found four largish pieces of metal (looks like ally).

Pieces are approx 1" long by 3/8ths" , and look like they've been in there quite some time!!

Engine ran ok but smoked a lot (valve stem oil seals?)

If they were bigger I'd have guessed they were remnants of holed pistons. But they ain't.

Just thought you'd be midly amused!!

Regards

Simon

interestedparty

posted on 25/7/02 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Presumably you will be dismantling the engine now, Simon. For our amusement in the meantime, could you give us some more detail on the pieces? Are they curved, are the edges torn or straight. How thick are they (you've only given us 2 dimensions so far), then you could offer a prize for whoever guesses correctly.

JOhn

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

Alan B

posted on 25/7/02 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Photos, photos, photos, photos, photos,....
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 25/7/02 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps someone dropped them through the oil filler as a joke...

OK - I'm joking - but one of the best wind-ups I've ever seen was when an analy-retentive friend was stripping down an engine. He carefully put all the bits into labelled boxes and plastic bags as he went along.

Another friend came along and put extra nuts and bolts in selected locations. Just enough to make him worry that he'd forgotten where they went, and carefully chosen to be of a type that could possibly belong to the item in question.

I think one of the items was 1 extra ball bearing from a ball-race. Just imagine - you took all the balls out and carefully put them in a zip-locked plastic bag, so they should all go back...

After several hours of 'interesting' language, friend #2 owned up - then ran away fast!

David (and it wasn't me!)

David Jenkins

posted on 25/7/02 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Went to clean out rest of oil with a rag, and found four largish pieces of metal (looks like ally).

White metal, curved, probably heavily scratched/worn?

If so, could be a shattered bearing.

Mind you - you'd know about that! (major rumbles from the bottom of the engine).

David

Simon

posted on 25/7/02 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
John / Alan

Thanks for (what I don't doubt is) sympathy guys:-)

Take engine apart. Why? I've removed anything that might have rattled:-) Probably put in some new valve stem oil seals.

I will be having a look to see if I can see where they're from, though.

Yes, I'll put up a pic or two, if enough demand!! Be later tonight (afternoon for you, Alan!)

ATB

Simon

David Jenkins

posted on 25/7/02 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Simon,

We do sympathise, greatly! It's pigging annoying when something like this happens.

As you've got the sump off, look at the piston skirts to see if they're intact, waggle the big ends to see whether they've still got bearing shells inside, and generally look around for broken edges on aluminium bits.

Otherwise, I'm struggling to think of any 'aluminium' bits within the oily part of the engine that could break into little bits. The pistons are the only parts that come to mind. All the other ali bits tend to be covers, supports and so on, so would have to be hit hard to fall apart.

Anyone got any other ideas?

David

Simon

posted on 25/7/02 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
David

I did wonder about pistons, but think the diameter of the parts too small.

Was quite late last night that I was doing all this. Will have another look (with a torch) tonight.

I did wonder (hope) they might be remnants of old (but repaired) damage.

Thanks for concern. Didn't think this post would have generated so much interest.

ATB

Simon

David Jenkins

posted on 25/7/02 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing like talking about other people's problems!

I was thinking about the oil smoke - do you know anyone who owns a compression tester? If you haven't seen one, it's just a pressure gauge, a non-return valve and a bit of hose.

You can use this to see if the problem is with the rings or the valve guides.

It's also worth checking that the crankcase breather is clear - my neighbour had a Volvo 240 that was smoking something rotten and he was thinking that he had an expensive bill coming. A mechanic friend of his cleaned out the breather pipe-work and the oil smoke went away.

Good luck!

David

Simon

posted on 25/7/02 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
David,

Engine currently on engine stand, so might me difficult to turn engine over sufficiently to do compression test. I'll check to see if I can bolt starter to it. Think starter bolts go into g/box.

Talking to a friend who runs Ford dealership , I told him about smoke - he thought probably valve stem oil seals and if not them, oil control rings.

I'm trying to get engine clean enough so I can reconnect to box, and make up some engine/box mountings. Not the end of the world if engine kaput. I can get another freebe engine if necessary.

ATB

Simon

Alan B

posted on 25/7/02 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
John / Alan

Thanks for (what I don't doubt is) sympathy guys:-)

Take engine apart. Why? I've removed anything that might have rattled:-) Probably put in some new valve stem oil seals.

I will be having a look to see if I can see where they're from, though.

Yes, I'll put up a pic or two, if enough demand!! Be later tonight (afternoon for you, Alan!)

ATB

Simon

Oh yeah it's definitely sympathy, but it's just a little less serious when happens to someone else

This is is a good thing, because it is easier to have rational thoughts and ideas when you aren't stood next to it swearing

It is possible that someone could ID the parts and save more grief so the photos would definitely help.

I have seen ali backed thrust washers in the past and I thought they could be pieces of those. It it possible to check crank end play?

Anyway, fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

Alan B

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 25/7/02 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
These peices of metal in your sump,do they have an 8 mm hole in the middle?
johnston

posted on 25/7/02 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
if uve got the engine on a stand wit sump off and i presume the head of if ur doing the valve stem seals why not pull the pistons out too double check for all the time it will take and im sure u could beg borrow or steal (temporary) a ring compressor

better being safe than sorry

dont now if this is rubbish or not but is the gudgeon pin pressed into the piston or con rod if so could it have seized and have turned in said pressed part and ripped a part of alli out????

if its rubbish tell me please

Simon

posted on 25/7/02 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Guys,

Thanks for all your comments. All gratefully received I can say.

I've uploaded a pic into my newly created Photo archive. Me thinks they look like the little end of the conrod. Any other suggestions!!

The paper clip was not in the sump (b4 anyone gets in with some amusing quip); it's there to give you an idea of size:-)

I had a look at the engine this evening, and couldn't see any obvious damage.

Thanks again everyone

ATB

Simon

stephen_gusterson

posted on 25/7/02 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Simon,

We do sympathise, greatly! It's pigging annoying when something like this happens.

As you've got the sump off, look at the piston skirts to see if they're intact, waggle the big ends to see whether they've still got bearing shells inside, and generally look around for broken edges on aluminium bits.

Otherwise, I'm struggling to think of any 'aluminium' bits within the oily part of the engine that could break into little bits. The pistons are the only parts that come to mind. All the other ali bits tend to be covers, supports and so on, so would have to be hit hard to fall apart.

Anyone got any other ideas?

David

bits of thrust washer? if its big end shells as you mention, i recon it would be really noticeable! Bits of piston skirt seem interesting....

Metal Hippy™

posted on 26/7/02 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
Is it a big or small paperclip?

As with all things in life some people are blessed with big ones and some with small..

President of the Non-conformist Locost Builders Club. E-mail for details...

David Jenkins

posted on 26/7/02 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
Weird!

They seem to have splines cut on the inside - haven't got a clue what they'd be from!

David

David Jenkins

posted on 26/7/02 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
I've just had a look at your other pictures - you're not hanging around with your build, are you!

It's looking really good.

David

Simon

posted on 26/7/02 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Metal H

Small clip - 3.16cm(ish) length:-) Hope this helps!

David,

Thanks for compliments on build. First week went really well. Then I had to put on front brackets - took a day!!

Slowed down a bit now!!

ATB

Simon

johnston

posted on 26/7/02 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
is anyone taken bets on this if so i bet cha's all a fry up (a proper ulster 1 not a soppy english 1) that there a wee end or the bit on the inside of the piston were the gudgeon pin goes through

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.