Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Adaptor plate
Browser

posted on 16/4/04 at 12:56 AM Reply With Quote
Adaptor plate

Has anybody ever made an engine-to-gearbox adaptor plate and if so would you mind jotting down a list of what to do in what order. It doesnt have to be a "get a scriber and ensure it is sharp, If not use a..... " sort of thing just a few points to give me an idea. I am trying to see how difficult it will be to join a Citroen 16v engine to an MT75 gearbox. My current idea was to strip the fwd gearbox from the Citroen to leave me with an empty casting (done already), cut the mounting flange off the front of the casing and attach it to the MT75, either by welding or bolting (if this is an option). If I can't do it this way the I'd use the gearbox casing as a template and scribe the pattern onto a sheet of ali and then get this welded onto the gearbox casing. My main concern is getting the adaptor accurately fitted onto the gearbox so that everything is nice and concentric. The main advantage to using the old casing (if I do) is that the crank angle sensor bolts into it and will be corrctly positioned. My thinking at the moment is to remove the flywheel from the engine, make up an adaptor to fit the centre of the flywheel to replicate the crank centre, set the gearbox upright, pop the cut-off mounting flange over the top of the tranny and then drop the flywheel onto the 'box input shaft. Carefully ensure that the flange is equdistant from the flywheel and at the correct angle of dangle and then carefully mark where it aligns with the gearbox casing, or just clamp it in position. Once this is done and assuming no metal needs to be removed from the existing casing to make the gearbox input shaft engage properly with the crankshaft, tote this combo round to my local friendly chapies who are skilled in these arts and get them to stick it together. Please feel free to shoot htis plan full of holes if you can see that it is utter shyte, or offer constructive criticism/ an alternative method if not. Final alternative, if you know of a company near-ish to Peterborough who woul dundertake this work and not charge a kings ransom for it can you let me know please?

P.S.I could always just stick with the Zetec the chassis came with which is already bolted to the MT75 but I like making my life difficult and being bloody-minded when I hear the words 'it can't be done'!

NS Dev

posted on 16/4/04 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
Just to add another complication to your dilemma!! You can buy an off the shelf bellhousing to attach the Citroen/Peugeot 16v to the type 9 ford 'box, and obviously gearkits etc are easier to get for the type 9, just a thought!
NS Dev

posted on 16/4/04 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
PS nice engine to put in a seven by the way!
Browser

posted on 16/4/04 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
Just to add another complication to your dilemma!! You can buy an off the shelf bellhousing to attach the Citroen/Peugeot 16v to the type 9 ford 'box, and obviously gearkits etc are easier to get for the type 9, just a thought!

If you can tell me where Nev I'd be a happy man! Flowtech used to do them but they ceased trading about 2 years ago and I have singularly failed to locate another supplier. Do you know of one?

DaveFJ

posted on 16/4/04 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
IIRC someone posted a contact a while back for a bloke who will make up any adaptor you want... may be worth a search of the archives......

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

ned

posted on 16/4/04 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
timf posted up that contact iirc..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
WIMMERA

posted on 16/4/04 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
I joined a Pug 504 engine to a T50 Toyota box by cutting both bell housings in half, squared up the cut ends of the Pug front and Toy rear in the lathe, bolted front half to spare block with crank fitted, clamped a test indicator to crank, clamped the Toy rear half to the Pug front half with a large 6mm ali washer in between ,trued the back half up with the test indicator running on the machined register for the clutch throw out bearing guide then welded both halves to the washer, then back into the lathe for a light lick to clean up the ends , then back onto the block to check, thats a very quick description, obviously a lot of measuring required before starting, I think a Cit/MI16 engine would be well worth the trouble, hope this helps I have a couple of pics but don't know how to post them.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.