Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fitting transducers to a VX block
Northy

posted on 17/4/04 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Fitting transducers to a VX block

Help!!!!! Please

I want to order some guages for my car soon and I can not work out how to fit oil pressure and oil temperature transducers to my VX 8 valve engine

Has anyone any knowledge of this?
Ned?

Cheers (hopefully)

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ben_Copeland

posted on 17/4/04 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Oil Pressure fits in where the oil light sender is... should be a twin poll one.

Oil Temp would have to be drilled and tapped into the sump/block/oil way

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Peteff

posted on 17/4/04 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Why can't you take the temp from the same place, it's the same oil isn't it?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 17/4/04 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
The VX oil pressure/light sender is huge... dont know if theres an equivilent on the market that'll do all 3 ?!?!

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

Northy

posted on 17/4/04 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys,

As I'm not using the standard dials I don't think I'll be able to use a standard VX sender (unless I'm very lucky)

I've been looking into the problem today. There is a plug in the block a little further back and higher than the oil pump that goes into one of the main oil galleries which is perfect for oil temperature. (Apparently you should fit an oil temp sender where oil is passing over the sender.) This is M14 x 1.5.

It is possible to replace the standard oil pressure switch (also M14 x 1.5) with a T piece to fit oil pressure switch and oil pressure sender.

So I'm gonna have to get some adapters, M14 x 1.5 to sender thread, and a T piece. Any recommendations?

Cheers

[Edited on 17/4/04 by Northy]

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ben_Copeland

posted on 18/4/04 at 05:57 AM Reply With Quote
Can you not get an aftermarket sender that does pressure guage and the light ? Worth looking into.

Its worth looking at getting the plug out and seeing if you can fit anything in there

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

NS Dev

posted on 18/4/04 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, you can get oil press light and guage type senders, with adjustable "lightup" point for the light too (the standard car ones come on too late/at too low a pressure, if you are on the track your engine will be in bits by the time the light comes on!)

You can get these from either Demon Tweeks, or better cos you can ask about the pressures etc. from QED tel 01509 412317

ned

posted on 19/4/04 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
I'm going to use a capillary for oil pressure from a t-piece in the oil line somewhere as previously suggested. I'm not to bothered about oil temp if i have water temp, which i'll run off the standard thermostat housing.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.